When upgrading from SDK 1.x to SDK 1.7, cannot load Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Diagnostics RRS feed

• General discussion

• After getting off the phone with Azure support, I wanted to let everyone know about a breaking change that I discovered while upgrading to SDK 1.7.  Hopefully this helps someone else. 

here is the summary of the issue.
    1.  My project used SDK 1.6
    2.  I had this line in web.config:
    <add type="Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Diagnostics.DiagnosticMonitorTraceListener, Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Diagnostics, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" name="AzureDiagnostics">
    3.  Everything worked fine
    4.  I upgraded to SDK 1.7
    5.  Deployed my project, and it threw the exception (in ASP.NET) that it could not load that DLL, and my web site never came up.
    6.  I changed it to version 1.7:
    <add type="Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Diagnostics.DiagnosticMonitorTraceListener, Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Diagnostics, Version=1.7.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35" name="AzureDiagnostics">
    7.  This fixed the problem.

Thursday, June 21, 2012 8:40 PM

All replies

• Good

Friday, June 22, 2012 8:00 AM
  • If you open the application which created by Azure lower version SDK (1.6), and choose "Convert the project to Windows Azure Tools - June 2012", the DiagnosticMonitorTraceListener related version number will be changed to 1.7.0.0 automatically at my side.

• Edited by New GYW Friday, June 22, 2012 8:39 AM
    Friday, June 22, 2012 8:37 AM
  • Interesting you say that - for me, the DiagnosticMonitorTraceListener was the one DLL that's version was not updated.

The conversion process also seems to have some bugs when there are existing caches setup.  The converter tries to help by adding placeholder keys in the event of future use of these features, but neglected to consider the scenario when you already have DataCacheClients configured with the name "default."

Friday, June 22, 2012 2:57 PM
  • Thanks chaps - had completely forgotten this having upgraded most projects a couple of months ago and picked up an older project today with exactly this issue!
    Thursday, August 2, 2012 8:25 AM
  • This is documented here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windowsazure/jj131257

Gordon Hogenson, Visual C++ Doc Team, Author of "C++/CLI: The Visual C++ Language for .NET"

Friday, August 3, 2012 1:27 AM
  • Thanks Gordon, your guide is well done.  Wish I had that when the release first came out!

Cheers,

Matt

Friday, August 3, 2012 3:32 AM
  • Thank you!!!  This fixed my issue.  I had if not the exact issue a very similar one.

I am running diagnostics in combination with Microsoft.Practices.EnterpriseLibrary.Logging which has a listener of type Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Diagnostics.DiagnosticMonitorTraceListener.  When I upgraded the project to the new Azure SDK 1.7 the normal system.diagnostics entry's version was updated to 1.7.0.0, but the EnterpriseLibrary entry was not.

Saturday, September 22, 2012 7:54 PM
  • Hi Gordon - have you created a SDK 1.8 upgrade guide?  I can't find that anywhere.  Looks like 1.8 was released Friday 10/26/12.

Thanks,

Matt

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 6:32 PM