Calling a WCF service self hosted as windows service from a Windows service RRS feed

• Question

• User-1461736673 posted

Hi,

My requirement is to call a WCF service hosted in individual machines as a Windows Service from a Windows Service which is also be placed in all the machines. The WCF service is having NetNamedPipe Binding and while trying to access the WCF service from the Windows Service it is working great by passing the username of the machine, but the same is not working when we install the Windows Service, it is asking for Username as well as Password.

To explain in a line Calling wcf is working fine before installing windows service, but the same is asking for password post installation of the windows service.

Requesting anyone to provide an optimal solution for the problem

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 5:17 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

I imagine you're logged in as the admin or an account that has appropriate access but the installed service is not running under such an account.  Other than that, WCF is fairly complex.  We can only guess as we cannot see your code or configuration.

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 7:25 PM
  • User1120430333 posted

Why is the WCF service that is  using named-piped even concerned about using a user-id and password for a solution that is running on the protected LAN?

Wednesday, January 31, 2018 8:54 PM
  • User1168443798 posted

Hi pradeepv,

>> To explain in a line Calling wcf is working fine before installing windows service, but the same is asking for password post installation of the windows service.

Which account did you use to run the Windows Service? There are two Windows Service in your scenario, did you receive credential prompt in WCF Service Windows Service or WCF Client Windows Service? Did you enable authentication like basic or windows for your WCF Service?

I suggest you run your windows services which are placed in all the machines under the domain account.

Best Regards,

Edward

Thursday, February 1, 2018 2:09 AM
  • User-1461736673 posted

Hi,

The WCF service Hosted as Windows Service and My windows service both are running in Local System Account only. The crtical part here is the WCF i am trying to access is provided by UI Path Studio and it is Running as a windows service and we dont have any control on the same.

Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:04 PM
  • User-1461736673 posted

Hi,

The WCF service Hosted as Windows Service and My windows service both are running in Local System Account only. The crtical part here is the WCF i am trying to access is provided by UI Path Studio and it is Running as a windows service and we dont have any control on the same.

While accessing the UI Path WCF Service(hosted as Windows service) i got an exception to send password as parameter, the UI Path WCF is having Named Pipe Binding which we dont have any control to change.

Hope i have explained well now ;-)

Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:06 PM
  • User475983607 posted

There's bits missing from your post.  It sounds like you are in the wrong support forum and need to contact UiPath support.  

Thursday, February 1, 2018 12:23 PM
  • User-1461736673 posted

Hi,

If anything required from UI Path service definitely i will go for UI Path forum, but my question is how to call a WCF with Named Pipe binding without sending Password, since i am calling the WCF from the same machine i dont want to pass password as a paramater. IS there any way?

Thursday, February 1, 2018 1:43 PM
  • User475983607 posted

Hi,

If anything required from UI Path service definitely i will go for UI Path forum, but my question is how to call a WCF with Named Pipe binding without sending Password, since i am calling the WCF from the same machine i dont want to pass password as a paramater. IS there any way?

Keep in mind that we cannot see your code, configuration or setup.  This sounds like a permissions issue. 

Perhaps you need to reserve a namespace.

netsh http add urlacl url=http://+:8000/myservice/service user="MyLocalService"

Thursday, February 1, 2018 2:11 PM
  • User1168443798 posted

Hi pradeepv,

>> my question is how to call a WCF with Named Pipe binding without sending Password, since i am calling the WCF from the same machine i dont want to pass password as a parameter

How did you configure WCF Service? Did you enable WCF basic or windows for your WCF Service?

For a simple WCF Service, we would not need to provide user name and password.

How did you call WCF Service from windows Service? I am not sure what the UI Path supports. if you access the WCF Service from a console app, will the service work correctly?

Best Regards,

Edward

Friday, February 2, 2018 2:26 AM