none
Can't get comment range start in *.doc file RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have read the documentation of binary format ms word. But i can't find where you store the comment range start value.

I can get the comment reference node. Please guide me as soon as possible how can i get the comment range start value by reading the binary format of doc file?

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 4:57 AM

Answers

• Hi AswiniRam, if you take a look at MS-DOC section 2.3.4 under Comments, the sentence that immediately follows the one that I quoted previously states "The locations of the comment reference characters in the Main Document are specified by a PlcfandRef whose location is specified by the fcPlcfandRef member of FibRgFcLcb97."

Is that what you are looking for?

Josh Curry (jcurry) | Escalation Engineer | Open Specifications Support Team

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:41 PM
  • Hi AswiniRam, as you have noticed, the actual definition of each built-in style defined by Word isn't included in the styles.xml file by default. Only once the style is in use by the document will the style be included. Instead, you probably noticed that each style name is defined within the latentStyles collection.

ISO/IEC 29500, part 1, section 17.7.4.5 describes the latentStyles collection and explains why it is like this. The latentStyles "element specifies the properties which shall be applied to a set of latent styles for this document. Latent styles refer to any set of style definitions known to an application which have not been included in the current document." … "Obviously, embedding all the styles known to a particular application in each document which it produces would drastically increase the file size. Latent styles provide a way to store pieces of information for the first group (behavior properties) which shall be specified for all styles known to an application without requiring the storage of the second group (formatting properties)."

Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:54 PM

All replies

• Hi AswiniRam, thank you for your question. A member of the protocol documentation team will respond to you soon.

Wednesday, February 12, 2014 3:27 PM
  • Hi AswiniRam, please take a look at MS-DOC section 2.3.4 under Comments, which states "The locations of individual comments within the comment document are specified by a PlcfandTxt whose location is specified by the fcPlcfandTxt member of FibRgFcLcb97" and the description of aCP in section 2.8.8 under PlcfandTxt, which states "An array of CPs that specifies positions in the comment document. Each CP except the last two specifies the beginning of a range of text to appear in a comment indicated by the corresponding PlcfandRef CPs."

I believe that this is what is needed to be able to locate the individual comment start positions. Please let me know if this answers your question.

Thursday, February 13, 2014 6:01 PM
  • Hi Josh,

Thank you for your reply. I need comment range start in main document. That is, each comment is a valid selection of text ranges in main document.

In that valid selection i can get the end of the text range position, but can't get the start of the text range.

so that, i need to know where that starting position of text range is located.

I don't ask about comment start position in comment document. I need comment range start value in main document.

• Edited by AswiniRam Monday, February 17, 2014 10:10 AM
    Friday, February 14, 2014 5:33 AM
  • any update on this?
    Monday, February 17, 2014 6:38 AM
  • Hi AswiniRam, if you take a look at MS-DOC section 2.3.4 under Comments, the sentence that immediately follows the one that I quoted previously states "The locations of the comment reference characters in the Main Document are specified by a PlcfandRef whose location is specified by the fcPlcfandRef member of FibRgFcLcb97."

Is that what you are looking for?

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 7:41 PM
  • Hi Josh,

Sorry for the late reply. Now i got the comment range start and range end. It is stored it fcplcfatnbk and fcplcfatnbl respectively.

Now i want to know the default heading styles in *.docx files. All headings have some default styles. 

So, where you store styles of the headings like heading1,heading 2 and title etc., in xml format.

There is no entry in style.xml for heading styles, if we use it explicitly. but we can see some styles after opening a new document. :(

• Edited by AswiniRam Wednesday, March 5, 2014 1:35 PM
    Wednesday, March 5, 2014 1:32 PM
  • Hi AswiniRam, as you have noticed, the actual definition of each built-in style defined by Word isn't included in the styles.xml file by default. Only once the style is in use by the document will the style be included. Instead, you probably noticed that each style name is defined within the latentStyles collection.

ISO/IEC 29500, part 1, section 17.7.4.5 describes the latentStyles collection and explains why it is like this. The latentStyles "element specifies the properties which shall be applied to a set of latent styles for this document. Latent styles refer to any set of style definitions known to an application which have not been included in the current document." … "Obviously, embedding all the styles known to a particular application in each document which it produces would drastically increase the file size. Latent styles provide a way to store pieces of information for the first group (behavior properties) which shall be specified for all styles known to an application without requiring the storage of the second group (formatting properties)."

Thursday, March 6, 2014 8:54 PM