My PowerPivot files are going corrupt RRS feed

• Question

• Somehow my computer has corrupted most of my PowerPivot files. Some that are stored on SharePoint still work, as long as i don't save them. As soon as i save it though, the next time i open it (or sometimes immediately after i save) i start getting error messages. at first it was just the one saying the PowerPivot data is corrupt and then i would have to attempt to restore. it would usually restore, but it was annoying.

now i'm getting this error:

"Unable to load the VertiPaq engine because there was a COM exception while loading. This might happen if you load a workbook on a corrupt installation. To fix the problem, uninstall and then reinstall PowerPivot. Click Details for more error information."

when this happens, i'm unable to use the powerpivot data at all. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling. nothing. I've tried moving the file to another PC, same problem.

i've tried just about every suggestion on every support page or forum and nothing works. I've reimaged my laptop several times and the issue just keeps reappearing.

Win 7 64-bit / Office 2010 64-bit

here is the info from the "Details" button.

============================
    Error Message:

Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.

Call Stack:

Server stack trace: 
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.MarshaledInvoke(Control caller, Delegate method, Object[] args, Boolean synchronous)
       at System.Windows.Forms.Control.Invoke(Delegate method, Object[] args)
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.XLHost.Addin.GeminiProxy.HandleMethodInvoke(IMethodCallMessage callMessage)

Exception rethrown at [0]: 
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.HandleReturnMessage(IMessage reqMsg, IMessage retMsg)
       at System.Runtime.Remoting.Proxies.RealProxy.PrivateInvoke(MessageData& msgData, Int32 type)
       at Microsoft.Office.Interop.Excel.OLEDBConnection.Reconnect()
       at Microsoft.AnalysisServices.XLHost.Addin.InProcServer.LoadOLEDBConnection(Boolean raiseCompleteEvent, String errorCache)

Tuesday, August 12, 2014 4:01 PM

Answers

• Hi Kevinbradshaw,

It's a bad new that you didn't backup all of your PowerPivot files, please backup the PowerPivot files immediately which are work for you.

What's the specific SQL Server PowerPivot for Excel version? The latest version of SQL Server PowerPivot for Excel 2010 is "11.0.3129.0", we can download it from the site below:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29074 

To install and use Microsoft SQL Server 2012 PowerPivot for Microsoft Excel, complete the following steps in this order:

1. Install  .NET Framework 4.0  and  Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime.
    2. If you are running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, install the  platform update.
    3. Install  Microsoft® Office 2010.
    4. Install PowerPivot for Microsoft Excel 

So, please try to install the latest SQL Server PowerPivot for Excel version to see if this helps.

Elvis Long
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by Elvis Long Wednesday, August 20, 2014 1:46 AM
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 3:17 AM

All replies

• Hi,

This is the forum to discuss questions and feedback for Microsoft Office , I'll move your question to the Power Pivot forum

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/sqlserver/en-US/home?forum=sqlkjpowerpivotforexcel

The reason why we recommend posting appropriately is you will get the most qualified pool of respondents, and other partners who read the forums regularly can either share their knowledge or learn from your interaction with us. Thank you for your understanding.

George Zhao

It's recommended to download and install Configuration Analyzer Tool (OffCAT), which is developed by Microsoft Support teams. Once the tool is installed, you can run it at any time to scan for hundreds of known issues in Office programs.

Wednesday, August 13, 2014 5:29 AM
  • Hi Kevinbradshaw,

It's a bad new that you didn't backup all of your PowerPivot files, please backup the PowerPivot files immediately which are work for you.

What's the specific SQL Server PowerPivot for Excel version? The latest version of SQL Server PowerPivot for Excel 2010 is "11.0.3129.0", we can download it from the site below:
    http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=29074 

To install and use Microsoft SQL Server 2012 PowerPivot for Microsoft Excel, complete the following steps in this order:

1. Install  .NET Framework 4.0  and  Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime.
    2. If you are running Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008, install the  platform update.
    3. Install  Microsoft® Office 2010.
    4. Install PowerPivot for Microsoft Excel 

So, please try to install the latest SQL Server PowerPivot for Excel version to see if this helps.

Elvis Long

• Marked as answer by Elvis Long Wednesday, August 20, 2014 1:46 AM
    Thursday, August 14, 2014 3:17 AM
  • Thanks for the info. It looks like I have installed:

.NET Framework 4.5

Visual Studio 2010 Tools for Office Runtime

Office 2010 64Bit 14.0.4763.1000

SQL Server 2012 PowerPivot for Excel 64-bit 11.2.5058.0

Wednesday, August 20, 2014 12:40 PM