SQL Azure concurrency question RRS feed

• Question

• Hello everyone,

I have a question about SQL Azure.

I am writing a social application that hopefully with the accessed by thousands of people, therefore concurrency is a must.

I am wondering how many client instances (webpages) can access to the same SQL Azure instance at the same time.

Will a single instance of SQL Azure will be enough or multiple instances would be needed?

Thanks a lot.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 3:50 PM

Answers

• This depends to some extent on the way the application has been constructed. For example, does the app create a connection and leave it open for the life of a request process? Or does it open/close it only as needed for specific operations. Furthermore, proper caching within the application tier will help reduce load on the DB and increase response time.

Unfortunately I haven't seen any concrete performance metrics related to SQL Azure. And since throttling within SQL Azure is dependent on multiple factors, you will likely have to do some load testing with your application to determine what kind of capacity you can handle via a single instance before you start seeing failures.

• Marked as answer by Igor33 Monday, October 25, 2010 1:42 PM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:24 PM

All replies

• This depends to some extent on the way the application has been constructed. For example, does the app create a connection and leave it open for the life of a request process? Or does it open/close it only as needed for specific operations. Furthermore, proper caching within the application tier will help reduce load on the DB and increase response time.

Unfortunately I haven't seen any concrete performance metrics related to SQL Azure. And since throttling within SQL Azure is dependent on multiple factors, you will likely have to do some load testing with your application to determine what kind of capacity you can handle via a single instance before you start seeing failures.

• Marked as answer by Igor33 Monday, October 25, 2010 1:42 PM
    Thursday, October 21, 2010 4:24 PM
  • Hi Brent,

Regarding of having the connection open or closed I guess the answer is whatever is most efficient.

This will be heavily accessed application, maybe thousands of page views per minute, so I want to try to cover all my bases.

I have the design in Azure tables ready, but I’m concern about the cost per transaction.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 7:17 PM
  • You can buy alot of transactions for $10/month. Additionally, a local cache layer and substantially reduce the number of azure storage operations (and increase performance), especially for static values.

Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:08 PM