Child activity designer RRS feed

• Question

• I am working on this scenario. I have a SequenceActivity derived class that contains some activities here and there. I would put some empty SequentialActivities at predefined points to allow customization of actions to end user. IOW end user would be able to add its own actions within these empty SequenceActivities when designing workflow.

If I go with CompositeActivity/custom designer:

• I can't design my activity anymore since custom designer aren't supported when designing activity itself
    • I have to add some code to mimic sequenceactivity
    • I have to create a designer that might be fairly complicated

So I am wondering whether there is an easier way to host end-user activities within custom activity. I don't think there is but you never know.

Friday, June 15, 2007 5:43 PM

Answers

• Unfortunately you scenario is not currently supported by WF V1.  The problem is not in the designer, rather we do not allow adding or removing activity from a custom activity in V1.  This is a scenario we will enable on in a future release of WF.  For V1, you can achieve a similar goal by creating a ToolBoxItem in Visual Studio.   Your custom activity implementation should have no children, but you build a ToolBoxItem that pre-populates the children of your custom activity when it is drag-n-dropped into the designer.  This is how our ParallelActivity and ListenActivity are created so branches are automatically added when they’re dropped onto the designer surface.  You can look up ToolBoxItem on MSDN to learn how to create one.

Thanks.

Shelly

Monday, June 18, 2007 5:55 PM