none
what does "multitenant or single-tenant configuration" mean? RRS feed

• Question

• I got this question asked by my co-worker.. and confused between option 1 and 2.

You are designing a Windows Azure Solution. The solution will be used by multiple customers. Each customer has different business logic and user interface requirements. Not all customers use the same version of the .NET runtime. You need to recommend a deployment strategy. What should you recommend?
    1. Deploy in a multitenant configuration
    2. Deploy in a single-tenant configuration
    3. Deploy with multiple web role instances
    4. Deploy with multiple worker role instances

Thanks.

Thursday, February 2, 2012 7:22 PM

Answers

• Hi TMLP,

Adding to excellent solution given by Brent above, I would suggest you to understand what is Multi Tenancy and Single Tenancy.

If you understand the meaning of multi tenancy and single tenancy the answer of above question is pretty obvious. To understand kindly refer to the link - http://sanganakauthority.blogspot.in/2011/12/multi-tenancy-and-windows-azure.html

After reading above, now coming back to question; every customer needs their own business logic, hence we need single tenant configuration. So answer is C.

Hope it helps.

Mark As Answer if it helps you | My Blog
    • Marked as answer by TMLP Friday, February 10, 2012 6:47 PM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 12:16 PM
  • Sounds like a question out of a certification exam. :)

Assuming tenant = customer

Option 1 will require that a single system is able to adapt the business logic and presentation to the requesting tenant.

Option 2 will require that each tenant get their own specialized copies of the services.

Option 3 and 4 both refer to instances. An instance is like an instance of a object. All instances are the same (aka same logic), its only the context that causes them to behave differently. This this really isn't any different then option 1.

All this said, the magic part in your question IMHO is the requirement that custoemrs use different copies of the .NET Framework. A role targets a framework version. So you have to ask yourself if you can accomplish this in option 1 or 2.

• Marked as answer by TMLP Friday, February 10, 2012 6:46 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 7:37 PM

All replies

• Sounds like a question out of a certification exam. :)

Assuming tenant = customer

Option 1 will require that a single system is able to adapt the business logic and presentation to the requesting tenant.

Option 2 will require that each tenant get their own specialized copies of the services.

Option 3 and 4 both refer to instances. An instance is like an instance of a object. All instances are the same (aka same logic), its only the context that causes them to behave differently. This this really isn't any different then option 1.

All this said, the magic part in your question IMHO is the requirement that custoemrs use different copies of the .NET Framework. A role targets a framework version. So you have to ask yourself if you can accomplish this in option 1 or 2.

• Marked as answer by TMLP Friday, February 10, 2012 6:46 PM
    Thursday, February 2, 2012 7:37 PM
  • Hi TMLP,

Adding to excellent solution given by Brent above, I would suggest you to understand what is Multi Tenancy and Single Tenancy.

If you understand the meaning of multi tenancy and single tenancy the answer of above question is pretty obvious. To understand kindly refer to the link - http://sanganakauthority.blogspot.in/2011/12/multi-tenancy-and-windows-azure.html

After reading above, now coming back to question; every customer needs their own business logic, hence we need single tenant configuration. So answer is C.

Hope it helps.

Mark As Answer if it helps you | My Blog
    • Marked as answer by TMLP Friday, February 10, 2012 6:47 PM
    Monday, February 6, 2012 12:16 PM