Where has Webmatrix gone in 24 months? RRS feed

• Question

• User-1621298464 posted

In late 2011 and most of 2012 I developed a membership app that worked so very well using the starter site as a guide for Webmatrix 2, at the time.  Now when you Bing/Yahoo/Google for anything new about Webmatrix you simply don’t find anything more current then early 2013.  I’m guess Webmatix is going extinct.  How frustration to invest in a technology and learning curve that simply cannot capture and keep a audience.  I hope the guys who wrote the 4 books (all 2011) on the subject were handsomely compensated, early.

So I now have a new project that will need a small membership process, about 1,000 members and am again on the hunt for something that will stand the course over time, at least another 5 years or so.  I selected Webmatrix initially thinking it being Microsoft it would be viable in the long term.  I have always had a soft spot for Microsoft anything but with the Webmatix experience that is changing.  I’m having the same problem with Windows Phone continuing to fall off the grid when searching the native app store.  I had to purchase a non Windows tablet to do on-line banking for a nation bank.  They dropped the Windows Phone native app after 12 months. 

Any suggestion for finding  a platform that offers the security and power concepts of Webmatrix.

Respectfully,  Dallas in Maryland.

Friday, May 29, 2015 2:35 PM

All replies

• User2053451246 posted

Webmatrix is simply an editor for ASP.Net Web Pages (like how Visual Studio is an editor for Web Forms and MVC).  It's still around.

http://www.asp.net/web-pages/overview/getting-started/introducing-aspnet-web-pages-2/getting-started

Friday, May 29, 2015 4:05 PM
  • User379720387 posted

WebMatrix is simply a development environment for Web Pages.

It is super convenient because once it is up and running everything is there, including the db. It was originally intended for aspiring coders, a specific target audience for Microsoft as they would not normally look to Microsoft for a development platform. WebMatrix worked beautifully for that specific purpose.

Microsoft has since decided that the way to attract aspiring coders is to let broken links, broken tutorials, and an abandoned effort that only insiders know about, will be what will draw start ups to Microsoft.

Microsoft hopes that once these startups learn about Microsoft's stellar performance, that these startups simply run to download more Microsoft software and magically find their way to Visual Studio, and preferably Azure, where Nuget will magically pull everything together what they need.

That appears to be the current plan. No concerns about the amount of time folks will waste only to find out the effort has been abandoned.

Monday, June 1, 2015 12:54 PM
  • User-166373564 posted

HI Dallas,

According to current information, SQL Server compact edition is in deprecation mode with no new releases planned near future, but WebMatrix don't show signs of "ending".

See: http://forums.asp.net/t/1985418.aspx 

For this issue, you can consider contact Microsoft support directly(http://support.microsoft.com), they can help you on this issue.

With regards,

Angie

Wednesday, June 3, 2015 2:54 AM
  • User-622899141 posted

Hi,

I´m at a similar place, Dallas.

I built a membership-based site in 2012 using Webmatrix and Web pages.
    I think the concept is brilliant and I really enjoyed working in Webmatrix
    My background is Coldfusion, Classic ASP and Php..., so the transition was very smooth.

I´m now about to start a new project involving membership and would love to use ASP Web pages but I would feel a lot more confident if there some news?

...I was glad to see the getting started section had been updated last month:
    http://www.asp.net/web-pages/overview/getting-started/introducing-aspnet-web-pages-2/getting-started

/Anders

Friday, June 26, 2015 5:31 AM
  • User-821857111 posted

WebMatrix is no longer actively being developed. If you want to use the Razor Web Pages framework for your development, download the free Visual Studio Community Edition and choose File » New Web Site. Razor Web Pages is currently in version 3, which is not supported in WebMatrix.

Friday, June 26, 2015 7:05 AM
  • User-1980594115 posted

I switched a few years ago from Coldfusion and Classic ASP to using Webmatrix Web Pages. It was a great editor that served me well. I now use Visual Studio Express in maintaining and developing new ASP Razor Web Pages. Razor Web Pages have worked well in our web development environment. We still use v2 since our servers currently have ASP.NET v4. I completely support Razor Web Pages using Visual Studio Express because of the ease of development.

Friday, June 26, 2015 10:58 AM