Multiple Inheritance Question RRS feed

• Question

• User-296654088 posted

Hi,

I have created objects for the following:

• Person 
    • PhysicalAddress
    • CorporatePosition

A person will have a physical address and a corporate position so I wanted to inherit both to no avail. How do I handle this?

Saturday, February 13, 2010 7:36 PM

Answers

• User-1557892389 posted

Hrmm, given the context here, is this even a situation where you would want inheritance?  Seems, to me, like your Person object would have a Physical Address Property and a Corporate Position property.  Inheritance would be more for a situation like BigBoss and Janitor inherit from Person.

Also, since you are doing an address class, might I suggest automatically geocoding through google.  I have a blog post that gives you a set of code to do it:

http://jasonjano.wordpress.com/2010/02/10/address-geocoding/

Good Luck. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 8:30 PM

All replies

• User-1557892389 posted

Hrmm, given the context here, is this even a situation where you would want inheritance?  Seems, to me, like your Person object would have a Physical Address Property and a Corporate Position property.  Inheritance would be more for a situation like BigBoss and Janitor inherit from Person.

Also, since you are doing an address class, might I suggest automatically geocoding through google.  I have a blog post that gives you a set of code to do it:

http://jasonjano.wordpress.com/2010/02/10/address-geocoding/

Good Luck. 

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 8:30 PM
  • User-296654088 posted

Jason,

Thanks for your response. The geo-coding idea sounded really appealing but looks like I won't be able to get it for free as my app is an Intranet/Extranet application. What a cool feature that would've been though.

Sunday, February 14, 2010 12:09 AM
  • User-1557892389 posted

Heya,

The great thing about the google geocoding is that it is free.  You just need to sign up for a maps api key and throw it in your web.config. 

Monday, February 15, 2010 9:54 AM