Unable to run unit tests in VS 2013 after installing VS 2015 Update 2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have VS 2013 Update 4 and VS 2015 Update 2 installed on the same machine. Our current project is based on VS 2013 and we use it to build our projects.

We are on the process to migrate to VS 2015 and hence have both installed on my machine.

After installing VS 2015 Update2, our command line batch file have started giving errors for running our unit tests. This is the message that I am getting:

Error: An exception occurred while invoking executor 'executor://mswptestadapter/v1': Method not found: 'System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2<System.String,System.Object> Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestPlatform.ObjectModel.Utilities.XmlRunSettingsUtilities.GetTestRunParameters(System.String)'.

I am getting this error on both my Windows 10 and Windows 7 machines.

Regards,

Sunil

Saturday, April 9, 2016 7:40 AM

Answers

All replies

• Further updates:

I compared 2 folders 

C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TestWindow

on 2 machines.

machine A - This has only VS 2013 Update 4 installed.

machine B - This has VS 2013 Update 4 and VS 2015 Update 2 installed.

There are 3 changes, which I am unable to comprehend, since both have the same version of VS 2013 Update 4.

1. Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestPlatform.Utilities.PhoneAppContainer.dll is different.

Machine A - Version is 12.0.31101.0

Machine B - Version is 12.0.40629.0

2. Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestPlatform.Extensions.MSPhoneAdapter.dll is different.

3. Microsoft.VisualStudio.TestTools.CppUnitTestFramework.CppPhoneUnitTestExtension.dll is different

If I replace the machine B (in which I have issues running unit tests in VS 2013) with the ones from machine A, then the issue ceases to exist, and unit tests run without issues.

Now I am unable to comprehend, why the 2 machines having same version of VS 2013 Update 4, have different versions of these dlls.

Does this mean that the VS 2015 Update 2 installer, went updated them by mistake?

I hope this information be useful to some experts in this forum who can track down this issue.

Regards,

Sunil

Saturday, April 9, 2016 1:47 PM
  • Hi Sunil,

Please try install the Update 5 for your Visual Studio 2013 and then check whether the dlls version have been changed. Since the Visual Studio 2013 Update 5 is the closest version to Visual Studio 2015.

In addition, I will build an environment to check whether this problem related to the Visual Studio 2015 Update 2. This process will need some time, please be patient. After testing, I will post the test result here as soon as possible.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Monday, April 11, 2016 7:48 AM
  • Weiwei,

My point is why will an installer for VS 2015 Update 2, update the contents of a folder under VS 2013.

Which is what I believe is wrong.

Regards,

Sunil

Monday, April 11, 2016 10:05 AM
  • Hi Sunil,

I create a VM based on your description and I find the dlls in C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 12.0\Common7\IDE\CommonExtensions\Microsoft\TestWindow are changed after install the Visual Studio 2015 Update 2.

I suggest you submit this issue to Visual Studio Connect and then share the link here. It can let other communities who has the same problem vote and add comments for your feedback. And I think the report team experts will treat this problem seriously. Thanks for your feedback for Visual Studio product.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 3:20 AM
  • I have raised it in Visual Studio Connect and here is the link to it:

https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/2583434

Regards,

Sunil

• Proposed as answer by Weiwei Cai Wednesday, April 13, 2016 10:10 AM
    • Marked as answer by Weiwei Cai Tuesday, April 19, 2016 9:36 AM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 8:02 AM
  • Hi Sunil,

Thanks for your response and share the feedback link here. I have voted it and please be patient for report team experts' response.

I will close this thread later and if any problem in future, please feel free to come back to our forum.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 10:10 AM