none
Using VB when working with Excel RRS feed

• Question

• Hi<o:p></o:p>

I have developed a number of systems that use excel as a front end to a sql server database- creating essentially an OLAP reporting system.<o:p></o:p>

All programmed commands are done using VB which (by using a connection string) will either run a query / upload data on the sql server db directly or execute a procedure to do various actions.  The Vb will also manage other functions like creating PDF's emailing stuff etc<o:p></o:p>

I now need to explain how and what I did to some IT people (I'm not IT)- however I heard that they said developing in VB is old hat at this stage.<o:p></o:p>

Firstly- is VB still a standard language to develop in or has it been passed out.<o:p></o:p>

Is there any other language that has passed it out for excel development?<o:p></o:p>

In terms of justifying excel as a front end- changes Microsoft made in 2013 version don't help my case much  ( changing the encryption format  impacting severely on performance with no apparent regard for developers looking to champion their product) when impacts on performance are  responded to as "to be expected"- I'm no Mac fan but don't think Steve jobs would have accepted that!<o:p></o:p>

Thanks<o:p></o:p>

David

Monday, December 14, 2015 10:09 AM

Answers

• Couple of thoughts:

VB old?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COBOL That's old (and still relevant).

The toolset you use should be appropriate for your environment. Excel works just fine as a reporting tool, so do C#, ASP.net, php, javaScript, and a zillion other software environments.

So do 3rd party tools like QlikView.

It's a function of your user base, tools available, time, and money. Anyone claiming <software Name X> is old hat probably doesn't understand the software or has some built in bias for <software Name Y>. In any case, nobody wins the contest 'my software is better than yours'; it's a waste of time and adds little value to the problem at hand.

Most software has some tendency to break older code as newer versions are released. Mac hardware drivers often trail OS version releases so Steve J was just as guilty as Billy G.

Monday, December 14, 2015 4:55 PM

All replies

• Couple of thoughts:

VB old?  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COBOL That's old (and still relevant).

The toolset you use should be appropriate for your environment. Excel works just fine as a reporting tool, so do C#, ASP.net, php, javaScript, and a zillion other software environments.

So do 3rd party tools like QlikView.

It's a function of your user base, tools available, time, and money. Anyone claiming <software Name X> is old hat probably doesn't understand the software or has some built in bias for <software Name Y>. In any case, nobody wins the contest 'my software is better than yours'; it's a waste of time and adds little value to the problem at hand.

Most software has some tendency to break older code as newer versions are released. Mac hardware drivers often trail OS version releases so Steve J was just as guilty as Billy G.

Monday, December 14, 2015 4:55 PM
  • Dogubob

Thanks for reply- I mentioned Cobol in the conversation (as they have some legacy stuff with it) which soften the chat!

D

Tuesday, December 22, 2015 9:25 AM