Cannot boot into Windows Vista after installing Windows 8 Developer Preview and how to uninstall it!

Question

• Hi,

I installed Windows 8 on my Vista laptop. However, after I installed this, I could not boot into Windows Vista. Is there a way to get it back? Also, I would like to uninstall it, but I am unable to find ways to because I can't even get to my original OS! The commands I enter in the command prompt from my Vista Installation CD says "The system cannot find the file specified" I am desperate for help and any help would be appreciated!

Clio

Saturday, January 14, 2012 1:58 PM

Answers

All replies

• Where did you install the Developer preview? If you installed it on the same partition as Vista you will have to reinstall Vista.

Revert Back To Previous Windows Version

It is stated on the Windows 8 Developer Preview download page that you must reinstall the previous OS:

Notes about installing the Windows Developer Preview
    You can't uninstall the Windows Developer Preview. To reinstall your previous operating system, you must have restore or installation media.

If you bought retail Windows Vista:

If you have install disks - insert them, restart and boot from them to start the reinstall process. Reinstalling will remove any personal files on the computer, back them up first.

How to replace Microsoft software
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/326246

If Windows came with the computer - Reinstall Windows Preinstalled On Computer

OEM computer manufacturers are required to provide at least one way for you to reinstall Windows if you buy a computer with Windows preinstalled - your computer should have included either a restore partition on your hard drive, or Windows install/restore disks. Most computer manufacturers also have a feature to make your own install disks.

If the restore partition is still there and was not removed, it will reinstall Windows 7. There is usually a prompt when you first start the computer telling you what key to press to start the restore - check your manual if you're not sure how to. If you have install disks - insert them, restart and boot from them to start the reinstall process. Reinstalling will remove any personal files on the computer, back them up first.

If you don't have the restore partition or install disks:

Contact the OEM computer manufacturer and ask them to send you an install disk for your computer - they may or may not do it. If they agree to send you one they may charge a small fee. Contact information for the manufacturer of your computer can be found here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/gp/oemphone/

Saturday, January 14, 2012 4:30 PM
  • Hi Clio,

I think I had a rather similar experience after installing my WDP, I lost my Windows7 in the WDP boot menu though the partition on which Windows7 was installed, was available and its files could be accessed while I was logged on to WDP. Since I was not too sure about using bcdedit command line options, I installed a third party boot repair application called EasyBCD, chose the option to Edit my boot menu, and added Windows7 to it. I got my Windows7 back but lost my WDP graphic boot manager, later, I repaired it by booting from my WDP DVD and selecting the option to Repair, rather than Install the Windows. Hope my issue helps in solving your's. 

Irfan
    Saturday, January 14, 2012 5:37 PM
  • Hi Irfan,

What drive did you select when you added the Windows 7 entry?

Clio

Sunday, January 15, 2012 2:25 AM
  • Hi Clio,

while repairing an OS by booting from its DVD, you select the drive it is installed on. If you still have the drive Vista was installed on, I don't think you have too much of a problem. You may also see the WDP Control Panel-More Settings-System and security-System-Advance System Settings-Startup and Recovery-Default operating system. See if you have 2 operating systems mentioned there.

Irfan
    • Edited by Irfanfare Sunday, January 15, 2012 2:51 AM to complete
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 2:44 AM
  • Hi Clio,

I think I misjudged your question, I think you are trying to add an OS to the boot menu through EasyBCD. Install and run it, View Settings, if your OS is not there, click on the tab Add New Entry, choose Windows Vista/7, put your OS name, select the drive Vista is installed on, click on Add Entry. This should do.

Irfan
    Sunday, January 15, 2012 4:19 AM