IIS Outbound calls - tracing RRS feed

• Question

• User-222821522 posted
    Existing environment: We have one box with both IIS and SQL Server installed. Web Server is installed with certificates and hence we have secure connection that uses HTTPS.

I have a scheduled batch job which is configured to run at pre-defined time during off business hours. The objective of this job is to invoke to WCF service that I have developed which in turn calls external REST end point for payment gateway.

Since the server and my website is enabled with certificates, the WCF services are hosted on HTTPS end point. The batch job that I run (within the same box) makes call to WCF service using full qualified domain name(FQDN). Since I use FQDN, does the call from batch job to WCF resolve WCF endpoint by querying against DNS server and comes back to hit IIS web server?
    My understanding is that it goes out of the box and then again comes back!!!
    Friday, June 29, 2018 5:12 AM

Answers

• User-222821522 posted

Hi Mgebhard,

I used TcpView tools from Sysinternals. It is actually making calls outside of my network and comes back. Thanks for your inputs on using tracert.

Thank you

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, July 2, 2018 2:54 PM

All replies

• User475983607 posted

My understanding is that it goes out of the box and then again comes back!!!

Remote into the jobs box and run a tracert hostname from the command prompt to see where it goes or Ask your network admin for assistance.

Friday, June 29, 2018 10:46 AM
  • User-222821522 posted

Hi Mgebhard,

I used TcpView tools from Sysinternals. It is actually making calls outside of my network and comes back. Thanks for your inputs on using tracert.

Thank you

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Monday, July 2, 2018 2:54 PM