Data Migration Strategy to migrate subset of data from old system RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

We have a requirement to migrate particular customer's data from a shared database to a dedicated database without any downtime. This shared database running in a multi-tenant environment where multiple customer's using single service that point to a single database. one of our customer want to move from shared server to a dedicated server environment. for that we need to extract all the data belong to that customer (including master data and transaction data) migrated to new database server. We are currently evaluating below approaches to resolve this migration task. 

Please note that current database holding millions of data and that particular customer also having large portion of data.

1. Restore the backup from share database and then purge other customers database.

2. export relevant data from shared database and then import into new system.

Please let us know what would be the best approach that we can consider for our migration.

Thanks.

Wednesday, November 2, 2016 2:32 AM

Answers

• I would use transactional replication and filter on the tables so that only the customers data is replicated. This would ensure near real time sync and cutover time would be minimal.
    • Marked as answer by mshazvi Thursday, November 3, 2016 5:18 AM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 2:39 AM

All replies

• I would use transactional replication and filter on the tables so that only the customers data is replicated. This would ensure near real time sync and cutover time would be minimal.
    • Marked as answer by mshazvi Thursday, November 3, 2016 5:18 AM
    Wednesday, November 2, 2016 2:39 AM
  • Thanks for clarification.

Just want to know if we need to migrate sub set of record (comparatively small amount of data for large db) what would be the recommended way out of two approach I mentioned above). does deleting unwanted data is recommended option?

Thursday, November 3, 2016 5:24 AM