Visual Studio 2010 - SharePoint server 2010 connectivity RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I need help on visual studio and sharepoint server infrastructure setup.

We have Visual Studio 2010 installed at india location and Sharepoint server 2010 installed at Europe location. Now, we need to do custom development on Sharepoint and .Net. We are trying to connect SharePoint server through Visual studio (remote locations). We are aware that, we could establish the connectivity with some limitations.

Could anyone help us with the limitations and constraints on this type of infrastructure set up?

Set of limitations which are roadblocks for development

Thanks,

Karthik

Thursday, December 1, 2011 12:28 PM

Answers

• I don't think it is possible to do a remote deploy of a Wsp. Atleast I have never done it. I would think your best bet is to package up a Wsp and then copy it to your remote server. Then use the commands below to install it.

1. Add the solution
    stsadm -o addsolution -filename {WSPFILENAME}
    2. Deploy the solution
    stsadm -o deploysolution -name {WSPFILENAME} -url {SITEURL}
    3. Install the feature
    stsadm -o installfeature -filename {FeatureFolder}\feature.xml
    4. Activate the feature
    stsadm -o activatefeature -id {FEATUREID} -url {SITEURL} -force

Chris Jorgensen MCTS - MOSS 2007 and SharePoint 2010, MCPD - SharePoint 2010
    • Marked as answer by Shimin Huang Friday, December 9, 2011 8:56 AM
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 2:56 PM
  • It looks like it is possible using TFS and Powershell Remoting. Not sure if this answers your question but the link below describes the setup.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepointdev/archive/2011/11/17/deploying-wsps-as-part-of-an-automated-build.aspx

Thursday, December 1, 2011 3:02 PM

All replies

• I don't think it is possible to do a remote deploy of a Wsp. Atleast I have never done it. I would think your best bet is to package up a Wsp and then copy it to your remote server. Then use the commands below to install it.

1. Add the solution
    stsadm -o addsolution -filename {WSPFILENAME}
    2. Deploy the solution
    stsadm -o deploysolution -name {WSPFILENAME} -url {SITEURL}
    3. Install the feature
    stsadm -o installfeature -filename {FeatureFolder}\feature.xml
    4. Activate the feature
    stsadm -o activatefeature -id {FEATUREID} -url {SITEURL} -force

Thursday, December 1, 2011 2:56 PM
  • Hi Karthikeyan ,You can use client object model for SharePoint remote access.There will be some limitation on using client object model instead of server object model .for more details please refer Client Object model
    Please click "Propose As Answer" if a post solves your problem or "Vote As Helpful" if a post has been useful to you.
    Thursday, December 1, 2011 3:00 PM
  • It looks like it is possible using TFS and Powershell Remoting. Not sure if this answers your question but the link below describes the setup.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sharepointdev/archive/2011/11/17/deploying-wsps-as-part-of-an-automated-build.aspx

Thursday, December 1, 2011 3:02 PM