none
Unreal Engine 4 source code verification RRS feed

• Question

• Hiya!

I am trying to get the Xbox One SDK from Epic Games for Unreal Engine 4, and they require me to have a Microsoft representative confirm my developer status. Their form says specifically:

"Please ask your Microsoft account representative to send an e-mail to consoles@unrealengine.com confirming your status and referencing your email address. Console source code access cannot be provided until we have received developer verification from Microsoft.*

I am not 100% sure who to contact about this, and Customer Service has pointed me towards this forum. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Lars

Thursday, March 9, 2017 3:54 PM

Answers

• The Xbox Live Creators Program requires the universal windows platform (UWP) for the games. For specific engine details around features and levels of support, you should reach out to the provider directly for their plans and roadmaps. Note this isn't a question of ID@Xbox or Creators, but of a target platform support.
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 5:52 PM

All replies

• Are you a member of ID@Xbox or one of the publishers for Xbox? If so, you need to contact your rep. If you are a member of the Creators Program, we haven't shipped an Unreal add-in. You can download the Xbox Live SDK directly and use the C++ library directly from within Unreal. See here under "Visual Studio" option: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/games/xbox/docs/xboxlive/get-started/creators/step-by-step-guide-to-integrate-xbox-live
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 7:58 PM
  • I am not part of ID@Xbox, I am part of the Creators Program though. I want to start making a game for the Xbox One which should be somewhat possible I hope. Another issue I'm running into is in the Windows Dev Center, I get a warning that because I am making a "game" it has to go through concept approval rating. When clicking on the "more info" link it redirects me to the ID@Xbox page. I thought the Creators Program was brought to life for individuals to not have to be part of the ID@Xbox developers in order to create and publish games.
    Thursday, March 9, 2017 10:45 PM
  • Hmm, well a couple of possible things.

First, no - you don't need to be part of ID@Xbox or go through concept approval for the Xbox Live Creators Program. However, the program itself is in preview as we've just announced it and are working with folks like you to make sure it is ready to go large. 

So step one is to make sure you've signed up to be part of the Insider Program for XBLCP. You can read about it at http://aka.ms/xblcp - you need to join the insider program via https://aka.ms/xblcreatorsinsiderprogram (this link is on the xblcp page). Once in the program you should be good to enable your Dev Center games as Xbox Live.

Once you are in the program, you should see Xbox Live under Services. When you click the enable button there, there is a warning that "In order to publish to Retail, your product must be categorized as type "Game" in your submission." That is just an indication that you can't use this program for apps, demos, etc.

If neither of these apply to you, can you point me to where you are seeing this warning?

Thursday, March 9, 2017 11:02 PM
  • Thanks for the prompt reply Brian,

I double checked and can confirm that I am part of the Xbox Live Creator Program, which allows me to see and enable Xbox Live under services in the Windows Dev Center dashboard. Where I see the error is under my application, following the path [Application name] -> Submissions -> Submission 1 -> Packages. I am attempting to make a game in Unreal Engine 4 and have it run on my Xbox One which is running in Developer Mode (I have gone through the process and enabled my retail Xbox and Xbox Live account for developer use).

Any guidance you can give me is greatly appreciated.

I wanted to attach a screenshot of the error message but it doesn't allow me to submit the image.

Friday, March 10, 2017 12:02 PM
  • Okay, I think I understand the problem - a gap in the insider documentation and some general confusion we need to clear up. Thanks for calling it to our attention.

The insider program does not allow you to publish your game to retail - only to do development in development mode. Publishing to retail is going to come later this summer when we open the program up.

Let me try to explain these parts until that happens.

1. When you first enable your game with Xbox Live, it can take a few minutes for that enablement to go live. You don't need to do anything but switch to your developer sandbox and you can sign in. 

2. When you go into the Xbox Live services section, you can configure things like leaderboards, stats, etc. To get those to appear in your developer sandbox, you need to hit the "Test" button at the bottom of that page. It will publish those configurations to your developer sandbox (can take up to 15 minutes but often is faster).

3. When you want to publish that configuration out to retail - so that anyone can sign into your game - you need to do the submission flow you mention. That is the part that is blocked in the Creator's Program at the moment.

Friday, March 10, 2017 5:51 PM
  • Thanks you for that clarification! It helps a lot knowing all this. Glad you understood my problem.

The next question is a bit of a longshot, but I'll give it a try anyway: If I don't have the Xbox One source code from Unreal Engine, because I'm not part of ID@Xbox, how can I test run the game build on my devkit at all?

That aside, thank you very much for your help!

Saturday, March 11, 2017 3:59 PM
  • The Xbox Live Creators Program requires the universal windows platform (UWP) for the games. For specific engine details around features and levels of support, you should reach out to the provider directly for their plans and roadmaps. Note this isn't a question of ID@Xbox or Creators, but of a target platform support.
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 5:52 PM