none
[PHP][Web Apps] Providing WebApp FTP access to third party developer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We have an Azure account with several WebApps. This particular WebApp is a WordPress websites that we have recently migrated over from a cPanel environment.  We have an external third party developer who is writing a custom WordPress PlugIn for us and he needs FTP access to the webspace. How do I provide this?

Do I need to add the developer using Active Directory in Azure? If so, does he need to create a Microsoft account for me to add?  If we add him, how do we restrict him to the one WebApp he is working on? Is there a simpler way just to provide FTP?

Thanks,

Keith

Monday, November 9, 2015 3:53 PM

Answers

• You can do this using role based access control (RBAC). Here is an article that discusses this (Portal UI is slightly different now).

The high level flow is:

• Each user needs to have a Microsoft account (but does not need an Azure subscription)
    • You go to your Web App in the Preview portal, go under Settings / User, and add the relevant users as Contributors
    • Each user will now be able to go to the Portal and see the site. From there, they can set up there Deployment Credentials, which can be used for FTP access
    • They will only have access to the specific sites that you grant them, and nothing else in your subscription

David

• Proposed as answer by David Ebbo Monday, November 9, 2015 4:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by KeithGlanville Tuesday, November 10, 2015 12:27 PM
    Monday, November 9, 2015 4:28 PM

All replies

• You can do this using role based access control (RBAC). Here is an article that discusses this (Portal UI is slightly different now).

The high level flow is:

• Each user needs to have a Microsoft account (but does not need an Azure subscription)
    • You go to your Web App in the Preview portal, go under Settings / User, and add the relevant users as Contributors
    • Each user will now be able to go to the Portal and see the site. From there, they can set up there Deployment Credentials, which can be used for FTP access
    • They will only have access to the specific sites that you grant them, and nothing else in your subscription

David

• Proposed as answer by David Ebbo Monday, November 9, 2015 4:29 PM
    • Marked as answer by KeithGlanville Tuesday, November 10, 2015 12:27 PM
    Monday, November 9, 2015 4:28 PM
  • Thank you David - that seems clear.

Tuesday, November 10, 2015 12:27 PM
  • Jambor, thank you for editing my post title. However, I do not think this query happens to be just PHP related as you have indicated. My query relates to any WebApp where FTP access needs to be provided to a third party.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2015 12:30 PM