none
open word document in a sharepoint project non open xml sdk RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering if it is possible to open a document with the Interop.Word. So far Application application = new Application() gives me an application but when I try to open a document with Document document = application.Documents.Open(webAddressOfDocumentInSharepoint); but it keeps returning null. It works fine in a console app but I need it to work in a sharepoint project.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 4:25 PM

Answers

• Hi Chrys,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Yes, you are right, Microsoft does not currently recommend, and does not support, Automation of Microsoft Office applications from any unattended, non-interactive client application or component (including ASP, ASP.NET, DCOM, and NT Services), because Office may exhibit unstable behavior and/or deadlock when Office is run in this environment. And Open Xml will be better way to support your issue.

Have a good day,

Tom

Reference: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257757/en-us

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Just Perdueit Monday, July 11, 2011 6:21 PM
    Monday, July 4, 2011 8:42 AM

All replies

• It seems this ability has not been developed for sharepoint.
    Thursday, June 30, 2011 7:39 PM
  • Hi Chrys,

Thanks for posting in the MSDN Forum.

Yes, you are right, Microsoft does not currently recommend, and does not support, Automation of Microsoft Office applications from any unattended, non-interactive client application or component (including ASP, ASP.NET, DCOM, and NT Services), because Office may exhibit unstable behavior and/or deadlock when Office is run in this environment. And Open Xml will be better way to support your issue.

Have a good day,

Tom

Reference: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/257757/en-us

Tom Xu [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

• Marked as answer by Just Perdueit Monday, July 11, 2011 6:21 PM
    Monday, July 4, 2011 8:42 AM