How to create a chat room on Communicator 2005 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi fellows!!

Is it possible to create a chat room, or a meeting room, whatever, in Communicator 2005?

I'm trying to keep a chat window with my friends for all day long, but it closes every 10 minutes....

I wanna keep this persistent for all time that members are logged in.

Thanks for any help!!!

Regards,
    Marco
    Thursday, August 16, 2007 6:19 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Per the Office Communicator team:

No. Persistent chat is not an option for OC 2005 or 2007.

Probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but at least it answers the question.  :-)

-brenda (ISV Buddy Team)

Monday, September 17, 2007 10:44 PM

All replies

• Hey Hi Marco, 

Even i am getting same problem with Communicator ....

If anybody knows this please let me know . It's urgent for me

Thank Q very much!!!!

Mallikharjun.

Monday, August 20, 2007 4:54 PM
  • Does not look like Microsoft is bothering to monitor these forums ... prove me wrong Microsoft ...

Monday, September 10, 2007 8:16 PM
  • OK :-)

I'm currently looking into this question and will post as soon as I get some additional info.

-brenda (ISV Buddy Team)

Monday, September 17, 2007 9:06 PM
  • Hi,

Per the Office Communicator team:

No. Persistent chat is not an option for OC 2005 or 2007.

Probably not the answer you wanted to hear, but at least it answers the question.  :-)

-brenda (ISV Buddy Team)

Monday, September 17, 2007 10:44 PM
  •  

The smile at the end certainly did not help unless you meant to use the sad face ---> :-( .... and had a typo.  If it is not a typo, perhaps consider the "mood" of your audience first.

At this point, I will accept that it does not make sense to make the client "persistent" in context to what it is (an "Instant Messenging" medium not a "Chat Room") and to make it work otherwise should be something done outside the product's functionality albeit using the API's it has.  In this case, it would be helpful to post some sort of "keep alive" code, perhaps something on a timer that updates one of the other fields and if updating any one of those are enough to keep it alive. 

Even better would be a true "chat room" client perhaps leveraging Live Meeting Tech,

Ralph

Chicago

Tuesday, September 18, 2007 2:12 PM
  • Apologies that my feeble attempt at "lightenening the mood" failed.

I passed on your follow up question regarding "keep alive" code to the Communicator team and received the following info:

We do not have anything like that right now in the product.  Look for this in the future [with the recent purchase of Parlano]. 

http://www.parlano.com/
    http://www.parlano.com/asp/products/mindalign2007/index.asp

There's a pretty good article on what the purchase of Parlano will add to the Unified Communications line-up at http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=6075.

All the best,

-brenda (ISV Buddy Team)

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 5:39 PM