none
IOT Commericalization Microsoft URL fails

Question

• This url fails when I try to submit to get access to the IOT Core

https://www.windowsforiotdevices.com/form/index

Server Error in '/' Application.

Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: items

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Source Error:
    The source code that generated this unhandled exception can only be shown when compiled in debug mode. To enable this, please follow one of the below steps, then request the URL:

1. Add a "Debug=true" directive at the top of the file that generated the error. Example:

<%@ Page Language="C#" Debug="true" %>

or:

2) Add the following section to the configuration file of your application:

<configuration>
       <system.web>
           <compilation debug="true"/>
       </system.web>
    </configuration>

Note that this second technique will cause all files within a given application to be compiled in debug mode. The first technique will cause only that particular file to be compiled in debug mode.

Important: Running applications in debug mode does incur a memory/performance overhead. You should make sure that an application has debugging disabled before deploying into production scenario.

Stack Trace:
    [ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: items]
       System.Web.Mvc.MultiSelectList..ctor(IEnumerable items, String dataValueField, String dataTextField, String dataGroupField, IEnumerable selectedValues, IEnumerable disabledValues, IEnumerable disabledGroups) +168
       System.Web.Mvc.SelectList..ctor(IEnumerable items) +25
       ASP._Page_Views_Shared_FormPartial_cshtml.Execute() +6674
       System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy() +197
       System.Web.Mvc.WebViewPage.ExecutePageHierarchy() +105
       System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy(WebPageContext pageContext, TextWriter writer, WebPageRenderingBase startPage) +90
       System.Web.Mvc.RazorView.RenderView(ViewContext viewContext, TextWriter writer, Object instance) +235
       System.Web.Mvc.BuildManagerCompiledView.Render(ViewContext viewContext, TextWriter writer) +107
       System.Web.Mvc.HtmlHelper.RenderPartialInternal(String partialViewName, ViewDataDictionary viewData, Object model, TextWriter writer, ViewEngineCollection viewEngineCollection) +277
       System.Web.Mvc.Html.PartialExtensions.Partial(HtmlHelper htmlHelper, String partialViewName, Object model, ViewDataDictionary viewData) +91
       System.Web.Mvc.Html.PartialExtensions.Partial(HtmlHelper htmlHelper, String partialViewName) +32
       ASP._Page_Views_Form_Index_cshtml.Execute() +876
       System.Web.WebPages.StartPage.RunPage() +17
       System.Web.WebPages.StartPage.ExecutePageHierarchy() +64
       System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy(WebPageContext pageContext, TextWriter writer, WebPageRenderingBase startPage) +78
       System.Web.Mvc.RazorView.RenderView(ViewContext viewContext, TextWriter writer, Object instance) +235
       System.Web.Mvc.BuildManagerCompiledView.Render(ViewContext viewContext, TextWriter writer) +107
       System.Web.Mvc.ViewResultBase.ExecuteResult(ControllerContext context) +291
       System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionResult(ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionResult actionResult) +13
       System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionResultFilterRecursive(IList`1 filters, Int32 filterIndex, ResultExecutingContext preContext, ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionResult actionResult) +56
       System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionResultFilterRecursive(IList`1 filters, Int32 filterIndex, ResultExecutingContext preContext, ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionResult actionResult) +420
       System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionResultWithFilters(ControllerContext controllerContext, IList`1 filters, ActionResult actionResult) +52
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass2b.<BeginInvokeAction>b__1c() +173
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass21.<BeginInvokeAction>b__1e(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +100
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.WrappedAsyncResult`1.CallEndDelegate(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +10
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.WrappedAsyncResultBase`1.End() +49
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.EndInvokeAction(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +27
       System.Web.Mvc.Controller.<BeginExecuteCore>b__1d(IAsyncResult asyncResult, ExecuteCoreState innerState) +13
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.WrappedAsyncVoid`1.CallEndDelegate(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +29
       System.Web.Mvc.Controller.EndExecuteCore(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +36
       System.Web.Mvc.Controller.<BeginExecute>b__15(IAsyncResult asyncResult, Controller controller) +12
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.WrappedAsyncVoid`1.CallEndDelegate(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +22
       System.Web.Mvc.Controller.EndExecute(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +26
       System.Web.Mvc.Controller.System.Web.Mvc.Async.IAsyncController.EndExecute(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +10
       System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.<BeginProcessRequest>b__5(IAsyncResult asyncResult, ProcessRequestState innerState) +21
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.WrappedAsyncVoid`1.CallEndDelegate(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +29
       System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +28
       System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.System.Web.IHttpAsyncHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult result) +9
       System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +9765121
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +155

Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:4.0.30319; ASP.NET Version:4.6.1590.0

Friday, February 17, 2017 5:23 AM

All replies

• Also, I filled out the form completely...
    Friday, February 17, 2017 5:25 AM
  • Hello ResidentX,

I also filled out the form completely and was unable to see your issue. The final screen shows:

Thank You

Thank you for accepting the Microsoft Commercial Terms of Use for Windows 10 IoT Core Runtime Image. Please check your email for a link to the Microsoft Windows 10 IoT Core End User License Agreement that you must pass on to the end users along with each device running Windows 10 IoT Core.

And I received the email as promised.  Is there potentially a problem with your connection that not all of the data is getting to the server?  If you leave optional fields blank do you get different behavior?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, February 17, 2017 6:55 AM
  • I'll try again or maybe I didn't this before years ago and I can't do it again. Let me try now.
    Friday, February 17, 2017 5:46 PM
  • It failed again for me. What browser were you using? I was using Edge. Let me try again in IE11
    Friday, February 17, 2017 5:48 PM
  • It failed on IE11 for me....

Friday, February 17, 2017 5:50 PM
  • Parameter name: items Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.

Source Error:
    The source code that generated this unhandled exception can only be shown when compiled in debug mode. To enable this, please follow one of the below steps, then request the URL:

1. Add a "Debug=true" directive at the top of the file that generated the error. Example:

<%@ Page Language="C#" Debug="true" %>

or:

2) Add the following section to the configuration file of your application:

<configuration>
       <system.web>
           <compilation debug="true"/>
       </system.web>
    </configuration>

Note that this second technique will cause all files within a given application to be compiled in debug mode. The first technique will cause only that particular file to be compiled in debug mode.

Important: Running applications in debug mode does incur a memory/performance overhead. You should make sure that an application has debugging disabled before deploying into production scenario.

Stack Trace:
    [ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
    Parameter name: items]
       System.Web.Mvc.MultiSelectList..ctor(IEnumerable items, String dataValueField, String dataTextField, String dataGroupField, IEnumerable selectedValues, IEnumerable disabledValues, IEnumerable disabledGroups) +168
       System.Web.Mvc.SelectList..ctor(IEnumerable items) +25
       ASP._Page_Views_Shared_FormPartial_cshtml.Execute() +6674
       System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy(WebPageContext pageContext, TextWriter writer, WebPageRenderingBase startPage) +90
       System.Web.Mvc.HtmlHelper.RenderPartialInternal(String partialViewName, ViewDataDictionary viewData, Object model, TextWriter writer, ViewEngineCollection viewEngineCollection) +277
       System.Web.Mvc.Html.PartialExtensions.Partial(HtmlHelper htmlHelper, String partialViewName, Object model, ViewDataDictionary viewData) +91
       System.Web.Mvc.Html.PartialExtensions.Partial(HtmlHelper htmlHelper, String partialViewName) +32
       ASP._Page_Views_Form_Index_cshtml.Execute() +876
       System.Web.WebPages.StartPage.RunPage() +17
       System.Web.WebPages.StartPage.ExecutePageHierarchy() +64
       System.Web.WebPages.WebPageBase.ExecutePageHierarchy(WebPageContext pageContext, TextWriter writer, WebPageRenderingBase startPage) +78
       System.Web.Mvc.ViewResultBase.ExecuteResult(ControllerContext context) +291
       System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionResult(ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionResult actionResult) +13
       System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionResultFilterRecursive(IList`1 filters, Int32 filterIndex, ResultExecutingContext preContext, ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionResult actionResult) +56
       System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionResultFilterRecursive(IList`1 filters, Int32 filterIndex, ResultExecutingContext preContext, ControllerContext controllerContext, ActionResult actionResult) +420
       System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionResultWithFilters(ControllerContext controllerContext, IList`1 filters, ActionResult actionResult) +52
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass2b.<BeginInvokeAction>b__1c() +173
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.<>c__DisplayClass21.<BeginInvokeAction>b__1e(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +100
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.WrappedAsyncResult`1.CallEndDelegate(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +10
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.AsyncControllerActionInvoker.EndInvokeAction(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +27
       System.Web.Mvc.Controller.<BeginExecuteCore>b__1d(IAsyncResult asyncResult, ExecuteCoreState innerState) +13
       System.Web.Mvc.Controller.EndExecuteCore(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +36
       System.Web.Mvc.Controller.<BeginExecute>b__15(IAsyncResult asyncResult, Controller controller) +12
       System.Web.Mvc.Async.WrappedAsyncVoid`1.CallEndDelegate(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +22
       System.Web.Mvc.Controller.EndExecute(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +26
       System.Web.Mvc.Controller.System.Web.Mvc.Async.IAsyncController.EndExecute(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +10
       System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.<BeginProcessRequest>b__5(IAsyncResult asyncResult, ProcessRequestState innerState) +21
       System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult asyncResult) +28
       System.Web.Mvc.MvcHandler.System.Web.IHttpAsyncHandler.EndProcessRequest(IAsyncResult result) +9
       System.Web.CallHandlerExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute() +9765121
       System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step, Boolean& completedSynchronously) +155
    Friday, February 17, 2017 5:51 PM
  • Hi ResidentX10,

I can only guess that your data is not getting fully provided to the system.  The error "ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null." indicates that no data is present.  Do you have another network for internet access you can try?

I am on 5G DSL and all of my data is getting through when I fill out the same form in Edge and IE11.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, February 17, 2017 6:42 PM
  • LMFAO 5G DSL...lol

I'm on a Verizon Quantum Fios network with 1/2 TB pipe...

• Edited by ResidentX10 Friday, February 17, 2017 9:01 PM
    Friday, February 17, 2017 9:00 PM
  • Hi ResidentX10,

I'm using Frontier DSL here. So any ideas where you might be getting the NULL from? I can't seem to reproduce the error.  Maybe flush your cache or try an in private session to get a clean / fresh page load?

Somehow your session is handing the server a NULL value and I can't reproduce that.  I've filled the form fully and left all optional values blank and it always works.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Friday, February 17, 2017 11:59 PM
  • There's a bug in the form in one of the multi-selectors. I didn't fill out any of the "optional" fields and my application was accepted.
    Sunday, February 19, 2017 2:43 AM
  • Here's the image shots.

1. Approval

2. From here on in the form is the problem

Sunday, February 19, 2017 2:45 AM
  • I need to get access to the commercialization guide for IOT. Can you talk to them and have them approve my application despite the missing information due to the bugs?
    Sunday, February 19, 2017 2:47 AM
  • Hi ResidentX10,

I can't find the error on the Microsoft side.  The error codes you are seeing state that you are sending NULL values in your submission. Do you have any idea how those are getting injected?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, February 20, 2017 2:37 AM
  • That's not my problem. I submitted the application and I told you the problems. I'm done with this conversation.

Monday, February 20, 2017 4:42 AM
  • Excellent! I am glad you were able to resolve the NULL.  I am unable to reproduce the issue.
    Monday, February 20, 2017 5:49 AM
  • Did you read any of the comments I just posted here? I didn't resolve the issue with the nulls in IE11 nor Edge. My solution was to skip the options and submit an incomplete form. If you call that a solution then your special...you need to have someone at Microsoft who really knows programming look at this form.
    • Edited by ResidentX10 Monday, February 20, 2017 11:14 AM
    Monday, February 20, 2017 11:11 AM
  • Hi ResidentX10,

As I stated, I have tried the steps you mention above and have been unable to reproduce the issue in either IE11 or Edge.  Do you know which setting causes the NULL?  You stated it was a multi-select item. Do you know how you were able to set it to NULL?

Also, to confirm that you have proper acceptance, when you go to the site now are you getting an acceptance message like :

You have previously accepted the Microsoft Commercial Terms of Use for Windows 10 IoT Core Runtime Image. The terms of use are below for reference.

In accordance with the Agreement, here is a link to the Microsoft Windows 10 IoT Core End User License Terms that you can use to provide an End User License Agreement (EULA) along with your device that includes a Windows 10 IoT Core runtime image.

I would like to be able to cause the same issue that you see to get an exact repro so it can be debugged.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Monday, February 20, 2017 8:25 PM
  • My access has been submitted but I have to wait for someone to approve it which won't happen until probably later in the week. Once I get approved, lets revisit this then I'll have a contact within the division.
    • Edited by ResidentX10 Monday, February 20, 2017 10:38 PM
    Monday, February 20, 2017 10:38 PM
  • Hi ResidentX10,

I submitted around the same time you did and have received approval as noted above.  When you revisit the site and sign in do you see the same message that I do above?

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 1:11 AM
  • This is what I get now...

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 4:38 AM
  • Another quick question...

Do you know when Windows IOT will be final and not Preview? I hate installing preview software...

• Edited by ResidentX10 Tuesday, February 21, 2017 5:07 AM
    Tuesday, February 21, 2017 5:06 AM
  • Hi ResidentX10,

Great! Your response shows that you are past the step of accepting the agreement. That is the same step I have achieved and I never was able to get the NULL error so you should move forward through the process without further issue but please do let me know.

As to your "Quick Question" I assume you are using the Joule as there are release editions of the other boardsets (14393.X).  My assumption is that Windows 10 “Creator’s Update” will include a release build for the Joule and based on a quick web search that is scheduled for sometime this spring.

Sincerely,

IoTGirl

Tuesday, February 21, 2017 6:28 AM