Help.Showhelp not working properly in Windows 10 RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows 10 64-bit. When I execute the line of code Help.ShowHelp(this, hp.HelpNamespace, HelpNavigator.KeywordIndex, hp.GetHelpKeyword(ctl)); in my C# application, the help window comes up and I can see the Key words. But no help information shows.  I can double click on the .chm file from the explorer and the help information does show.  Some of my colleges have told me this works for them in a 32-bit windows 10 system.  This same code has worked fine in Windows XP, Windows 7 and Windows 8.1.  I upgraded from Windows 7 64-bit to Windows 10 64-bit.

Tuesday, September 8, 2015 10:23 PM

Answers

• After much research I have found the problem.  My application sets a value in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION portion of the registry with a value name of my application and a value of 0. In previous versions setting this value to 0 would cause the WebBrowser control to use the highest version of IE on the system.  With windows 10 if I set this value to 11000, which is the version of IE that is running then the help files work the way they should and the WebBrowser that is also used by this application also works.  When I first posted this problem I was not aware that the WebBrowser in my application was not working either.  I do not know if this is an error in Windows 10 and the value of 0 should still work or if this is an intentional change.

I also found that if I deleted the entry from the registry the help files would work but the WebBrowser would get errors.  The entry is required to get both the WebBrowser and the help files to work.

Steven Packer

• Edited by Steven Packer Tuesday, September 22, 2015 11:11 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Youjun Tang Wednesday, September 23, 2015 8:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven Packer Wednesday, September 23, 2015 2:19 PM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2015 11:09 PM

All replies

• Hi Steven Packer,

Can the url in hp.HelpNamespace work fine in your win10 64-bit machine?

I suggest you adding a breaking point to your code, then check if every parameter are the same when you run it in win10, win7 or others.

Regards,
    Youjun Tang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 7:36 AM
  • Thank you for your response.  I have already done checked the parameters during a debug session, everything was coded correctly and all parameters had the right data.  As I indicated before, I can open the .chm file directly from Windows 10 and it works correctly. This only seems to happen when I try to open the .chm file from my application.

Thank You,

Steven Packer

Wednesday, September 9, 2015 2:17 PM
  • Hi Stevent Packer,

I test the Help.ShowHelp() in win10, It works well in my side.

I suggest you could share your chm file and the parameters you pass with us, then we test if your chm file could run normally in win10. You could upload the chm file to OneDrive and share the link text here.

Regards,
    Youjun Tang

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

• Proposed as answer by Youjun Tang Tuesday, September 15, 2015 1:43 AM
    Thursday, September 10, 2015 7:57 AM
  • I created a very small windows forms program with two controls and a help provider.  I used one of the help files from my help folder for testing.  In the test program the help file came up and worked just as expected. The key words worked and all information was visible.  I used the same help code in the test program as was in the program that is not working. At this point I am at a loss as to what may be causing this behavior.  Sharing a help file with you would seem to be pointless since I can get the file to work in my test program.  No changes to how help is used has been made to our program yet it continues to work in Windows 7, 8.1 and Windows 10 32 bit. It does not work in Windows 10 64 bit.  I do not know where to turn to.

Steven Packer

Wednesday, September 16, 2015 2:34 PM
  • Hi,

You can check if the Target framework is the same. and check if the Target CPU is the same both test program and the large one.

Monday, September 21, 2015 8:44 AM
  • After much research I have found the problem.  My application sets a value in the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\FeatureControl\FEATURE_BROWSER_EMULATION portion of the registry with a value name of my application and a value of 0. In previous versions setting this value to 0 would cause the WebBrowser control to use the highest version of IE on the system.  With windows 10 if I set this value to 11000, which is the version of IE that is running then the help files work the way they should and the WebBrowser that is also used by this application also works.  When I first posted this problem I was not aware that the WebBrowser in my application was not working either.  I do not know if this is an error in Windows 10 and the value of 0 should still work or if this is an intentional change.

I also found that if I deleted the entry from the registry the help files would work but the WebBrowser would get errors.  The entry is required to get both the WebBrowser and the help files to work.

Steven Packer

• Edited by Steven Packer Tuesday, September 22, 2015 11:11 PM
    • Proposed as answer by Youjun Tang Wednesday, September 23, 2015 8:29 AM
    • Marked as answer by Steven Packer Wednesday, September 23, 2015 2:19 PM
    Tuesday, September 22, 2015 11:09 PM