save program to desktop RRS feed

• Question

• like the title says i'd like to put the program i just made (my very first unassisted program) to my desktop, sorta like a gadget. its a simple program that lets you type a message and then saves it for when you or somebody else is ready to read it.  i believe this is the link to it smallbasic.com/program/?jvd538

not sure what other info you will need to know to answer my question. all help is appreciated.

Sunday, May 6, 2012 5:48 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you mean save from the SmallBasic IDE, simply save the *.sb file to the desktop.

If you mean save to the desktop from inside your program, use the path to the desktop (default is C:\Users\Username\Desktop on Windows 7).

Sunday, May 6, 2012 6:14 PM
  • my idea is to have the program constantly running on my desktop so i can use it with out opening any other files. 
    Sunday, May 6, 2012 6:51 PM
  • Sorry, but the best way to do this is not Small Basic. Here is a link to gadget development: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/bb456468(v=vs.85).aspx. It is done in HTML.
    • Marked as answer by BlazOfGlory Sunday, May 6, 2012 9:21 PM
    Sunday, May 6, 2012 8:13 PM
    Answerer
  • oh ok. i wasnt sure if it were possible... i appreciate the link
    Sunday, May 6, 2012 9:21 PM
  • I'm not sure what you mean exactly?

If you want to run your Small Basic program on its own, without the Small Basic IDE running, then you can just run the program's .exe file. You can make a shortcut on the desktop or in your startup folder if you want it to run when you start Windows.

If you mean you want it as an actual "Windows Gadget" then, as pointed out, you'll need to look into developing Windows Gadgets.

It would be simple to start your Small Basic program running from a simple Windows Gadget. But it's more complicated to use the Windows Gadget as the window for your Small Basic program... :)

Monday, May 7, 2012 12:36 AM