Keyboard in Surface 2 RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way to use the keyboard that is available to SUR40 applications in a regular windows 7 app?

Thanks,

Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:09 PM

Answers

All replies

• No.  The keyboard window is part of the Surface Shell (which can only be installed on SUR40 units) and is only displayed when requested via the Microsoft.Surface.SurfaceKeyboard APIs.

This post is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 10:43 PM
  • No.  The keyboard window is part of the Surface Shell (which can only be installed on SUR40 units) and is only displayed when requested via the Microsoft.Surface.SurfaceKeyboard APIs.

My I add that unfortunatelly at this moment there isn't a chapter for the suface keyboard on the msdn reference for sdk 2.0, but if you look at the reference of the surface textbox you will read "ASurfaceTextBox control enables a user to enter text by using an on-screen keyboard. If your application is running on devices made for Surface, the Surface on-screen keyboard is used if the Surface Shell is running. Otherwise, the Tablet virtual keyboard is used."

So for non Surface Hardware you will have to use the tablet virtual keyboard (which unfortunately does not rotate). I think that we have to start thinking a way to create our custom keyboard.

I'm intrested in this component so maybe we can create a project on codeplex and start this development.

Let me know.

GP
    Friday, August 19, 2011 9:24 AM
  • > unfortunatelly at this moment there isn't a chapter for the suface keyboard on the msdn reference for sdk 2.0

There is API documentation for the SurfaceKeyboard class here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.surface.surfacekeyboard.aspx.

Or am I misunderstanding what you're asking for?

Friday, August 19, 2011 4:31 PM