none
.NET 2.0 SP2 through Windows Update? RRS feed

• Question

• I've just been hunting down a problem with an application that was developed in VS2005 on a PC with .NET 3.5 installed and it turns out it was caused by it using a .NET 2.0 method which was apparently included in .NET 2.0 SP2. My PC is fully patched up through Windows Update except for .NET 3.5 which I haven't installed because our application can only use .NET 2.0.

Why is it not possible to install .NET 2.0 SP2 through Windows Update without installing .NET 3.5? If one of our clients goes onto Windows Update with a Windows 200 machine will it appear? I'm trying to work out whether I can reasonably expect our clients to have .NET 2.0 SP2 installed or not.
    Thursday, April 16, 2009 8:04 AM

Answers

• Hi Craig_Miller,

Windows Update is one part of OS. Since you want to upgrade .NET Framework via Windows Update, I suggest you to post your issue there.
    I'm not sure what the OS of your target machine is. For Vista, since .NET Framework 2.0 is the components which is shipped with Vista, it will be upgraded to SP2 via Windows Update. For XP, as far as I know, there seems no .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 upgrading via Windows Update. For other Operation System, you can consult the issue on TechNet.

I can understand that you want to detect .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 during the deployment. If you want to author a condition in MSI-based installer to check for SP2, please try the following blog:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/11/11/9061169.aspx

Thanks
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    Friday, April 17, 2009 9:53 AM

All replies

• Hi Craig_Miller,

Since your issue is related to Windows Operation System, you can consult it on Technet forums .

Thanks
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    Welcome to the All-In-One Code Framework! If you have any feedback, please tell us.
    • Edited by YiChun Chen Friday, April 17, 2009 9:54 AM link
    Friday, April 17, 2009 9:26 AM
  • Hi YiChun,

It's a question about downloading the .NET Framework, not Windows. Where would I post it in TechNet? I can't see a topic that's got anything to do with the .NET Framework.

Cheers

Craig
    Friday, April 17, 2009 9:32 AM
  • Hi Craig_Miller,

Windows Update is one part of OS. Since you want to upgrade .NET Framework via Windows Update, I suggest you to post your issue there.
    I'm not sure what the OS of your target machine is. For Vista, since .NET Framework 2.0 is the components which is shipped with Vista, it will be upgraded to SP2 via Windows Update. For XP, as far as I know, there seems no .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 upgrading via Windows Update. For other Operation System, you can consult the issue on TechNet.

I can understand that you want to detect .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 during the deployment. If you want to author a condition in MSI-based installer to check for SP2, please try the following blog:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2008/11/11/9061169.aspx

Thanks
    Friday, April 17, 2009 9:53 AM