Performance Issues With Re-Hosted Designer and Sequence Activity RRS feed

Answers

• Which framework version are you finding slow right now?

>Have there been any changes to the performance in WF 4.5/.net 4.5?

The answer is almost definitely going to be yes, as there are a number of perf fixes and general changes that can affect perf from both WPF core framework and WF designer framework. Whether the changes are net positive or negative however is something I don't know. In general I don't know of much you can do which will increase performance displaying rehosted designer.

Your question about the tabs - is the tab control class you are using authored using a 'memory efficient' approach which reinstantiates the whole contents of the tab, and the WorkflowDesigner as well, and let's contents get GCed (in theory anyway) when they go out of view?

If so the obvious thing to do seems to be switching to a different tab control which doesn't use this templating approach, and just holds the WorkflowDesigner in memory the whole time. (Especially if you are targeting .Net 4.0 where there are memory leak issues with WorkflowDesigner that means it won't get GCed short of using another appdomain.)

Tim

• Edited by Tim Lovell-Smith Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:26 PM fix a weird sentence
    • Marked as answer by jeremiahAdams Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:27 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:20 AM

All replies

• Which framework version are you finding slow right now?

>Have there been any changes to the performance in WF 4.5/.net 4.5?

The answer is almost definitely going to be yes, as there are a number of perf fixes and general changes that can affect perf from both WPF core framework and WF designer framework. Whether the changes are net positive or negative however is something I don't know. In general I don't know of much you can do which will increase performance displaying rehosted designer.

Your question about the tabs - is the tab control class you are using authored using a 'memory efficient' approach which reinstantiates the whole contents of the tab, and the WorkflowDesigner as well, and let's contents get GCed (in theory anyway) when they go out of view?

If so the obvious thing to do seems to be switching to a different tab control which doesn't use this templating approach, and just holds the WorkflowDesigner in memory the whole time. (Especially if you are targeting .Net 4.0 where there are memory leak issues with WorkflowDesigner that means it won't get GCed short of using another appdomain.)

Tim

• Edited by Tim Lovell-Smith Wednesday, August 29, 2012 11:26 PM fix a weird sentence
    • Marked as answer by jeremiahAdams Thursday, August 30, 2012 8:27 PM
    Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:20 AM
  • We are currenlty targeting 4.0. It looks like I need to do some testing and see.

Thanks also for your comments on the Tab control.

- jeremiah adams

Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:12 PM