How would I go about making an editable WebView for Metro in C++?

Question

• How would I go about making an editable [not edible] WebView for Metro in C++, that also implements it's own protocol handler?

I have solved this problem before in C# for WPF, and it involved implementing and using several of MSHTML:s COM interfaces through P/Invoke. Can I do the same thing in Windows RT/Metro UI by quering the WebView for the MSHTML interfaces and including the right headers?

If I do, will I still have an app that would be egliable for the Windows Store? If not, what can I do?

Monday, February 13, 2012 7:58 AM

Answers

• Hi Ludvig,

You would need to write your own HTML engine. WebView does not provide access to an underlying ActiveX control the way WPF's WebBrowser does.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Ludvig A Norin Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:32 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 1:25 AM
    Owner

All replies

• Hi Ludvig,

You would need to write your own HTML engine. WebView does not provide access to an underlying ActiveX control the way WPF's WebBrowser does.

--Rob

• Marked as answer by Ludvig A Norin Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:32 AM
    Tuesday, February 14, 2012 1:25 AM
    Owner
  • Is this the final word regarding this in Windows RT?

I sure hope not, because that would mean a huge functionality drop for the CRM part of the system I am porting.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012 8:45 AM
  • Hi Ludvig,

We cannot comment on any future releases. If this is a major issue for you then please file feedback with the scenario that cannot be achieved with the feedback tool or on connect.

--Rob

Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:12 PM
    Owner