Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown RRS feed

• Question

• I am getting Exception of type 'System.OutOfMemoryException' was thrown.

anybody help me

Monday, January 10, 2011 12:06 PM

Answers

• 1gb ram is not enough to support backup/restore operations. However there are other things that you can diagnose

1- Check Event Log for any further exception detail
    2- Check ULS logs (sharepoint logs in 12 hive location) for any further exception details. 
    3- Can you please paste some of your code here? It will help in identifying any issue (if exist in the code). 
    4- Is your SQL DB server also on the same box as sharepoint?  If this is the case, you definitly need to increase RAM. 
    5- If database is not on the same server, You will need to monitor the CPU usage from task manager to identify what process is consuming RAM.

Moonis Tahir MVP, MCPD, MCSD.net, MCTS BizTalk 2006/SQL 2005/SharePoint Server 2007 (Dev & Config)
    • Marked as answer by KeFang Chen Friday, January 14, 2011 8:40 AM
    Monday, January 10, 2011 3:23 PM

All replies

• Can you provide some more detail about the error?  Are you receiving the error with an un-customised version of SharePoint, is it when you run code or a particular time of the day etc?

Have checked the server(s) available RAM?  Can you also detail the architecture of the farm, ie how many servers, how much RAM etc?

Have you checked the ULS logs for any futher diagnostic information?

My SharePoint Blog - http://www.davehunter.co.uk/blog
    Monday, January 10, 2011 2:11 PM
  • iam taking list backup from sharepoint site using webservices,the library capacity upto 1GB.

ram-1gb

site is in production,i dont have any servers

Monday, January 10, 2011 2:31 PM
  • 1gb ram is not enough to support backup/restore operations. However there are other things that you can diagnose

1- Check Event Log for any further exception detail
    2- Check ULS logs (sharepoint logs in 12 hive location) for any further exception details. 
    3- Can you please paste some of your code here? It will help in identifying any issue (if exist in the code). 
    4- Is your SQL DB server also on the same box as sharepoint?  If this is the case, you definitly need to increase RAM. 
    5- If database is not on the same server, You will need to monitor the CPU usage from task manager to identify what process is consuming RAM.

Moonis Tahir MVP, MCPD, MCSD.net, MCTS BizTalk 2006/SQL 2005/SharePoint Server 2007 (Dev & Config)
    • Marked as answer by KeFang Chen Friday, January 14, 2011 8:40 AM
    Monday, January 10, 2011 3:23 PM
  • Agreed with Moonis Tahir that the 1 GB is not enough for this backup operation

I suggest you to

• Gain access to Production servers and reach out to the team who has the access (RDP access)
    • Given the 1 GB limit, stop all web traffic to the farm
    • Use STSADM for the backup job and try to complete

I dont prefer accessing a mammoth data like 1 GB through web service.

Aravind http://aravindrises.blogspot.com
    Monday, January 10, 2011 4:35 PM