none
Can multiple services have same implementation keys inorder to co-relate the dependency between the services

Question

• Hi Team,

I would like to know if we can use one Instrumentation Key for multiple services in order to link the services and check for the dependencies.

Also, if that is not possible I would like to know how to link multiple services in order to show the co-relation between them and get the exception stack trace whenever there are some issues.

Please do suggest me different ways to implement application insights on multiple services so that they are connected to each other and portrays the dependency between them in the Application Map.

I am a beginner for Application Insights and a need has arise to implement the above mentioned scenario... Please suggest me if am thinking the right way or the right way either!!!

Thanks in Advance

Regards,

Shri

Thursday, December 6, 2018 9:14 AM

All replies

• Hi Team,

Could someone please help me if the above scenario is a possible one? If not, could someone please suggest me with the right approach.

Thanks in Advance

Regards,

Shri

Monday, December 10, 2018 8:57 AM
  • Hello Shri,

Azure Application Insights allows one to monitor Web Applications, regardless of whether they're running on Azure or not. As mentioned in the Official documentation, this happens when one installs an instrumentation package in the application and sets up an Application Insights resource in the Microsoft Azure portal. The instrumentation monitors the app and sends telemetry data to the portal.

Every Application Insights resource has an Instrumentation Key, also known as the ikey, which specifies where the Telemetry is to be displayed. Also, you can instrument not only the web application, but also any background components, and the JavaScript in the web pages.

This document talks in detail about Dependency tracking with Azure Application Insights.

And this document explains how you can leverage Application Map to discover such dependencies.

Hope this helps!

Tuesday, December 11, 2018 2:11 PM
  • Thank you for the Quick help...

However, I still have one doubt. Request you to help me on that as well!

1> If there is an application which is consuming some services which in-turn has inter-dependencies with external services then how should the AppInsights be configured so as to get the data from the application perspective as a whole. If there is a failure then the AppInsights should be able to provide the end level of exception that failed due to which application did not respond as expected. Which means in the waterfall flow of exceptions, AppInsights should be able to depict where exactly the issue is... To achieve this please suggest me the right path. 

2> Is it by having multiple Instrumentation Keys one integrated with every dependent service or is it by having one single instrumentation key that must be integrated with all the services...

Also, do let me know if the above scenarios exist and if exist then how to achieve it!!!

Thanks in Advance

Regards,

Shri

Shri

49 minutes ago