Security >Logins > Add New RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am trying to add a box as a Login but it is not showing up when I search for it using (Search> Advanced > Find Now) , as a matter of fact, no boxes are showing up at all, only users.  How do you give a box access to an instance of SQL Server 2005?  The only choices I get for object Type are (Built-in security Principasl, Groups, and Users), the Location is the Network.

Thanks

Sunday, September 7, 2008 12:08 PM

Answers

•   I am imaging that by box you are referring to a machine account, correct?  I would recommedn using T-SQL directly for this task:

-- Machine account is represented as

-- DOMAIN + "\" + machine_name + "$", for example

-- DOMAIN: MyDomain

-- Machine: MyMachine

--

CREATE LOGIN [MyDomain\MyMachine$] FROM WINDOWS

I would also recommend sending feedback using Microsoft Connect about the tools (SQL Server Management Studio) to add better support for other type of principals in the user interface for adding logins to SQL Server.

Please let us know if my assumption was correct and if the information was useful.

Thanks,

-Raul Garcia

SDE/T

SQL Server Engine

Monday, September 8, 2008 5:58 PM

All replies

• I'm a bit confused. When you say give access to a box, what do you mean? If you mean, all users from a certain server then you should be able to add the builtin USERS group for that server as a login eg YOURSERVER\USERS.

Is that what you're after?

Monday, September 8, 2008 2:59 PM
  •   I am imaging that by box you are referring to a machine account, correct?  I would recommedn using T-SQL directly for this task:

-- Machine account is represented as

-- DOMAIN + "\" + machine_name + "$", for example

-- DOMAIN: MyDomain

-- Machine: MyMachine

--

CREATE LOGIN [MyDomain\MyMachine$] FROM WINDOWS

I would also recommend sending feedback using Microsoft Connect about the tools (SQL Server Management Studio) to add better support for other type of principals in the user interface for adding logins to SQL Server.

Please let us know if my assumption was correct and if the information was useful.

Thanks,

-Raul Garcia

SDE/T

SQL Server Engine

Monday, September 8, 2008 5:58 PM
  • Beautful

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 2:29 PM