How to use GestureRecognizer on Windows Phone 8.1 Silverlight? RRS feed

• Question

• The problem is, that in order to generate manipulations, GestureRecognizer requires to call its methods "ProcessXXX" (e.g. "ProcessDownEvent").

These methods require "PointerPoint" object.

On winrt I got this point directly from "PointerXXX" event args (e.g. "args.GetCurrentPoint"). However, I don't have this in Windows Phone.

Calling static method PointerPoint.GetCurrentPoint throws exception.

So, my question is: how I can make GestureRecognizer to work on Windows Phone 8.1 Silverlight?

Thanks

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 3:57 PM

Answers

• You can wire up the CoreWindow.PointerPressed (&c) in a Silverlight 8.1 app to get the pointer messages to pass on to the GestureRecognizer.

PointerPoint.GetCurrentPoint should work if you pass a valid pointerID, but it isn't used with the GestureRecognizer.

--Rob

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:17 PM

All replies

• You can wire up the CoreWindow.PointerPressed (&c) in a Silverlight 8.1 app to get the pointer messages to pass on to the GestureRecognizer.

PointerPoint.GetCurrentPoint should work if you pass a valid pointerID, but it isn't used with the GestureRecognizer.

--Rob

Tuesday, June 17, 2014 8:17 PM
  • Didn't knew about availability of CoreWindow for WP...

I think that will solve my problem.

Many thanks!

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 4:39 AM
  • Hi Rob,

I tried to implement using CoreWindow, but for some reason PointerXXX events are not being fired. Do I miss something?

Here what I tried to do:

public MainPage()
            {
                InitializeComponent();

var w = CoreWindow.GetForCurrentThread();

w.PointerPressed += MainPage_PointerPressed;
            }

void MainPage_PointerPressed(CoreWindow sender, PointerEventArgs args)
            {
                //never fired
            }

Wednesday, June 18, 2014 7:29 AM