Can I use an MS Access Database? RRS feed

• Question

• User1574559931 posted
    I would like to install this Starter Kit and learn from it, extend it, and use it.  Can I use an Access Database instead of SQL Server?

P
    Wednesday, July 27, 2005 12:52 PM

All replies

• User-838177377 posted
    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META http-equiv=Content-Type content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> <META content="MSHTML 6.00.2900.2668" name=GENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
    Why not use SQL Express?  It is free.  Check out http://lab.msdn.microsoft.com/express/sql/ for more info.  SQL Express also comes with the free Visual Web Developer tool.

</BODY></HTML>
    Thursday, July 28, 2005 8:58 AM
  • User1574559931 posted
    Well in that case, SQL Express it is.... Thanks
    Thursday, July 28, 2005 10:26 AM
  • User1443731158 posted
    I would like to use Access.  Not because of SQL Express, but because my hosting service does not allow SQL Express and changes $10 per month for full SQL!!!
    The guilty hosting company, is a parter for Microsoft and is discountASP.net!!!
    Friday, November 11, 2005 9:09 AM
  • User1759257155 posted

There are 2 problems that I see if using SQLExpress in a shared web hosting environment:

1. It spins up a new SQL process (e.g. the process use about 100 to 300 MB memory depends on content in DB) with each unique Application Pool which can cause memory problem (Imagine if 50 people on the server uses SQL express, you will need 10+ GB of memory to support it).

2. If the hoster uses a shared application pool, you run into a security issue because SQL Express do not have a notion of user permission.

Thursday, December 1, 2005 9:24 PM
  • User39490543 posted
    You are right, SQLExpress does not scale in a shared web hosting environment.  See this post: http://forums.asp.net/1108464/ShowPost.aspx
    Thursday, December 1, 2005 9:30 PM
  • User-1011205861 posted

Ok. so....SQLExpress still is not that flexible and secure. Why can't we use MSAccess? I'm not much into .NET 2.0 yet but I see that apps security is handled through a second database, is that right?

To be albe to use Access, we should copy the database scheme of both DBs and either use views for the SQL store procedures or, have a Data Layer with the SPs hard coded into it. Right?

Same as if we'd use any other database system (MySQL, Oracle, Etc... ) The problem here is that i don't see the classic multilayer programming scheme. Why did MS made this nice End.-to-End sample not using what they said people to do on the previous versions of the Samples (iBuySpy), I mean multi layer programs???????

Anyway, if you can develop a data layer to interact with MSAccess .. That's It! Then you'd have to modify a few lines in the actual code to call that data layer instead of SQL directly. ..... I wonder why this basic/modern/flexible/practical structure wasn't used in this version....... i just wonder.....

Friday, December 2, 2005 8:48 AM
  • User39490543 posted
    Why did MS made this nice End.-to-End sample

This is a common misconception.  Microsoft does *not* write the Starter Kits.  Members of the community do, as a community service.

.... I wonder why this basic/modern/flexible/practical structure wasn't used in this version....... i just wonder.....

Added complexity to an application comes at a cost, in both development and maintenance.  The purpose of this application was not to demonstrate multi-tier architecture, so I am guessing that is why it was left out.

These opinions are, of course, my own :-)

Friday, December 2, 2005 9:28 AM
  • User-1148564655 posted

I would like to use Access.  Not because of SQL Express, but because my hosting service does not allow SQL Express and changes $10 per month for full SQL!!!
    The guilty hosting company, is a parter for Microsoft and is discountASP.net!!!

Why don't you try free hosting? http://www.aspspider.net has free hosting with SQL Express.

Monday, December 5, 2005 5:04 PM
  • User-1908608132 posted

Yes.  You can use an Access database.

Follow this link http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/downloads/providers/, and then down the "Sample Access Providers" kit.

"The Sample Access Providers Starter Kit is a C# class library project containing implementations of ASP.NET 2.0 providers for the following features: Membership, Role Manger, Profile, and Web Parts Personalization. All of the providers use Microsoft Access for database storage. "

Saturday, December 10, 2005 8:41 PM
  • User-1909038188 posted

Segiles;

Thanks for that information - that capability makes this usable in many more situations.

I do have a question however. I develop in VB. Can I download and compile the C# kit and then just add some resultant classes/dlls to my VB application?

Monday, December 12, 2005 10:16 AM
  • User1128493551 posted

yes ))

Wednesday, May 31, 2006 7:24 AM