Data Source Library won't open / grayed out RRS feed

• Question

• Hello!

I saw a similar question but the answers didn't solve my problem so here it goes.  I have a site, and many subsites underneath.  For all of them it says I'm owner/full control.  They even gave me control of the site above mine so I could have permission to do a lot of things on my sites.  Ok well every site works the same.  I open them in SharePoint Designer and can insert data view and see the data sources under the "current site".

However, this one site i have says "current site" in the data source library tab, but it is grayed out and I can't expand it.  My IT contact has no idea what's wrong since I have full permission to all these sites.  I can add webparts through sharepoint designer to this site, I just can't add data views (and I really need data views for what I'm doing).

This is a site that's been around for a bit but this is the first time I started using it to insert data views.  Unfortunately it's a live site so I can't just delete/recreate as other things on the site are currently in use and going through workflows.  

Any suggestions are appreciated!  Where can I look?  What should I check? 

Thanks so much!
    Friday, August 28, 2009 6:08 PM

Answers

• We figured it out, the fpdatasources was saying that no one had any permission to it, but only for that one site, and for no real reason.  Once we were given permission, it worked again.  
    • Marked as answer by vivasuzi Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:14 PM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 8:20 PM

All replies

• Does anyone have any idea about this?  My IT looked and said I have full control of the site and they can see the "current site" data sources so they aren't sure why I can't.  Any ideas to help get to the bottom of this?
    Monday, August 31, 2009 1:14 PM
  • Are you sure you have access to those data sources? Have you tried restarting SPD? I have found that it glitches quite frequently and shutting it down completly (i.e. close it, then go into Task Manager and kill its process) then restarting is the only way to clear some of them. For instance, sometimes the toolbar & tool panes cease to function.

You should also check that the site is, in fact, using the same permissions as the other sites that you have full control over.

HTH

Chris G.
    Monday, August 31, 2009 1:40 PM
  • We figured it out, the fpdatasources was saying that no one had any permission to it, but only for that one site, and for no real reason.  Once we were given permission, it worked again.  
    • Marked as answer by vivasuzi Thursday, September 3, 2009 7:14 PM
    Wednesday, September 2, 2009 8:20 PM
  • If you cannot see your fpdatasources under your _catalogs, read this below!

If you have the proper credentials and have no issues accessing fpdatasources on other sites in your site collection, save the current site as a template (with or without content; which is entirely up to you) and create the site again from the new template.

I have managed to resolve my issue via this approach and may save many of you countless hours trying to figure out why the fpdatasources is grayed out and why you may be unable to see the fpdatasources under your _catalogs folder.

This approach should only be used as a last resort after having exhausted the following approach found in the link below. This is assuming you can see the fpdatasources. If you are unable to see the fpdatasources, create a new site and forget the link below.!

http://vspug.com/smuller/2007/10/01/data-source-library-grayed-out/

In my case the fpdatasources was not available under the _catalogs folder. I tried to create a new fpdatasources file to see what would happen but got denied because it said that the fpdatasources already existed. For some reason it was invisible.

Bottom line: save yourself the headache and time and create a new site from the template.

Bazin Makonnen

Saturday, April 24, 2010 9:49 PM
  • I have SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint Designer 2010, can see the fpdatasources under _catalogs but still cannot select or view data sources library within SharePoint Designer.

Again I would like to link list from subsites like I could in the 2007 products, but without being able to see the data sources library I'm lacking the functionality.

Can anyone help?

Friday, June 11, 2010 2:26 PM
  • If you cannot see the fpdatasources folder or having the grayed out problem, will suggest you to inherit the parent site's permission on the subsite.

It worked for me. The fpdatasources  folder also I was able to see back and was able to select the datasource.

• Proposed as answer by KB 2007 Wednesday, September 29, 2010 12:56 PM
    Wednesday, September 29, 2010 12:56 PM