none
Directions using bing maps with multiple locations RRS feed

• Question

• Migrating away from most, if not all, things google, one of the queries I use most often is finding directions/mileage using google maps.  When I enter the sequence Address 1 to: Address 2 to: Address 3 to: Address 1 gives me approximate mileage/time to what is essentially a round trip with stops at each address listed.

Entering the same sequence to bing maps only returns the first and last addresses.  Is there a way to enter the sequence to receive similar information to google maps?  I would rather not have a to enter each address since I've already entered in another application say an excel worksheet or email and I'm copying to the bing maps search box.

My apologies if this is posted in the incorrect forum.  If so, please direct me to the appropriate venue to post.

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 3:42 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you create, e.g., a route from Norwich to Oxford to London and back to Norwich again, like this:

http://www.bing.com/maps/default.aspx?rtp=adr.Norwich~adr.Oxford~adr.London~adr.Norwich

Then in the left-hand sidebar, you get a total for the whole journey (318.9 mi, 6 hr 53 min driving), and also for each leg as follows:

• A to B: 145.4 mi, 3 hr driving
    • B to C: 59.3 mi, 1 hr 27 min driving
    • C to D: 114.2 mi, 2 hr 27 min driving

Is that what you mean?

twitter: @alastaira blog: http://alastaira.wordpress.com/ | Pro Spatial with SQL Server 2012

Tuesday, November 20, 2012 4:00 PM
  • Thank you for your reply.

Yes that is the end result, however I was looking for something less sophisticated.  In the bing maps page there is a search box, as is in google maps.  In the latter, I would enter:

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue Washington DC 20500 to: 1528 H Street Lincoln 68508 to: 1400 Tenth St Sacramento 95814

This would result in directions and drive times.  The bing maps search box will pick up the first and last addresses, however it would not recognize the middle address.  For my use, I generally have 2-3 addresses between the first and last.  As I compare, I can drag the order of locations to best use my time.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 2:48 PM
  • Ah, I see.

I don't know how to enter multipoint journeys in the Search box but, seeing as you have your itinerary legs in an Excel spreadsheet already, you can create a new column that links straight to the map of each route built up using the URL format in my last post. Then, you can just click that link to go to the map direct from Excel - saving you copy/pasting it manually into the search box ;)

twitter: @alastaira blog: http://alastaira.wordpress.com/ | Pro Spatial with SQL Server 2012

Wednesday, November 21, 2012 5:15 PM
  • Hi, if I want to calculate for  A to B, A to C , A to D and determine which destination is the nearest from my starting point(A), any idea how to do it by using bing map api?
    Thursday, September 28, 2017 7:55 AM
  • Either calculate a route from a to b to a to c to a to d and then look at the distance for each odd indexed route leg or wait till next week when the new distance matrix service will be released.

[Blog] [twitter] [LinkedIn]

Thursday, September 28, 2017 1:42 PM