none
Visual Basic.net 2013 And Ms Access 2013 RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having trouble in calculating book fines. Here's my code:

UPDATE

Dim conn = New OleDbConnection("Provider=Microsoft.ACE.OLEDB.12.0;Data Source=C:\Users\huzai_000\Desktop\HND YEAR 1\HND Year1 assignments\Projects\Library project\Library Management System\Library Management System\Library.accdb")

conn.Open()

Dim cmd As OleDbCommand

cmd = New OleDbCommand("UPDATE Book_Transaction SET Bk_TID=" & Bk_TIDTextBox.Text & " ,  Library ID='" & Library_IDTextBox.Text & "', Book ID='" & Book_IDTextBox.Text & "' , IssueDate='" & IssueDateDateTimePicker.Text & "' , [Date Due Back]='" & Date_Due_BackDateTimePicker.Text & "' , [ReturnDate]='" & ReturnDateDateTimePicker.Text & "' where Bk_TID=" & Bk_TIDTextBox.Text & ")", conn)

cmd.Connection = conn

If (conn.State = ConnectionState.Open) Then

Try

'cmd.Parameters.Add("@MemberID", OleDbType.VarChar).Value = Member_IDTextBox.Text

cmd.Parameters.Add("@Bk_TID", OleDbType.Integer).Value = System.Convert.ToInt32(Bk_TIDTextBox.Text)

cmd.Parameters.Add("@LibraryID", OleDbType.VarChar).Value = Library_IDTextBox.Text

cmd.Parameters.Add("@BookID", OleDbType.VarChar).Value = Book_IDTextBox.Text

cmd.Parameters.Add("@IssueDate", OleDbType.Date).Value = IssueDateDateTimePicker.Text

cmd.Parameters.Add("@DateDueBack", OleDbType.Date).Value = Date_Due_BackDateTimePicker.Text

cmd.Parameters.Add("@ReturnDate", OleDbType.Date).Value = ReturnDateDateTimePicker.Text

cmd.ExecuteNonQuery()

MessageBox.Show("Data Updated Successfuly to Book Transaction", "Success", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Information)

conn.Close()

Catch ex As Exception

MessageBox.Show(ex.Source)

MessageBox.Show(ex.Data.ToString())

MessageBox.Show(ex.Message)

conn.Close()

End Try

Else

MessageBox.Show("Connection Failed")

End If

Dim DateReturned As Date = Convert.ToDateTime(ReturnDateDateTimePicker.Text)

Dim DateDue As Date = Convert.ToDateTime(Date_Due_BackDateTimePicker.Text)

If DateReturned > DateDue Then

Dim DaysLate As TimeSpan = DateReturned.Subtract(DateDue)

Dim Fine As Double = DaysLate.Days * 0.5

MessageBox.Show("Fine = {Fine.ToString:c}")

Else

MessageBox.Show("Fine = 05.00 AED", "Error", MessageBoxButtons.OK, MessageBoxIcon.Error)

End If

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 6:45 AM

Answers

• Hi Huzaifa,

I don't see any error in your code, can you tell me what issue you encounter, where you encounter this issue?

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 2:42 PM

All replies

• What error you are getting? It is always helpful to diagnose if you can provide the error. 

Mark Answered, if it solves your question and Vote if you found it helpful.
    Rohit Arora

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 7:22 AM
  • This is the forum you should be posting to, since this is the C# forum and not the VB forum.

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/vstudio/en-US/home?forum=vbgeneral

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 7:34 AM
  • Hello,

Please explain the exact issue you are having in regards to calculating as we can't just copy your code and run it.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help, this will help others who are looking for solutions to the same or similar problem. Contact via my Twitter (Karen Payne) or Facebook (Karen Payne) via my MSDN profile but will not answer coding question on either.
    VB Forums - moderator
    profile for Karen Payne on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 10:19 AM
  • Hi Huzaifa,

I don't see any error in your code, can you tell me what issue you encounter, where you encounter this issue?

Best Regards,

Cherry

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, January 18, 2018 2:42 PM
  • Huazifa,

This code won't run, you insert values in your SQL code while you also try to add parameters. 

Here on this page a simple sample how to use parameters with OleDB (it are no named parameters in OleDb)

http://www.vb-tips.com/OleDBParameters.aspx

Success Cor

Thursday, January 18, 2018 4:52 PM