Azure file share, FILE service not available? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I've got an Azure RemoteApp runnning as an expirement for one of my customers. One of their requests is for them to be able to share storagespace for small databases. I figured I should be able to do this by creating a storage account, with a file share as described one of the many articles like this one.
    However I get stuck since i don't seem to have the FILE service: 

The error shows this as well: 

how would I be able to create a fileshare? Is it possible to add the file service or should I be able to achieve the same goal by using Blobs? 

Thanks in advance!
    Friday, August 14, 2015 9:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please be advised that Azure File Services is still in preview, that might be the reason you don't have it available yet.
    You could use the following link to request access to the preview:
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/preview/

You could try using blobs, however, I'm not sure if it would fit your requirement as well as a File Share would.

Regards,
    Malar.

Friday, August 14, 2015 11:24 AM
  • Since File Service is still in "Preview" mode, you would need to enable it first in your subscription. To enable this feature in your subscription please login into account management portal (https://account.windowsazure.com/Home/Index). Once you login, you will see "Preview Features" tab. Just go there and enable File Service.

Hope this helps.

Friday, August 14, 2015 1:30 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please be advised that Azure File Services is still in preview, that might be the reason you don't have it available yet.
    You could use the following link to request access to the preview:
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/services/preview/

You could try using blobs, however, I'm not sure if it would fit your requirement as well as a File Share would.

Regards,
    Malar.

Friday, August 14, 2015 11:24 AM
  • Since File Service is still in "Preview" mode, you would need to enable it first in your subscription. To enable this feature in your subscription please login into account management portal (https://account.windowsazure.com/Home/Index). Once you login, you will see "Preview Features" tab. Just go there and enable File Service.

Hope this helps.

Friday, August 14, 2015 1:30 PM
  • Thank you both for your clear answers. I will look into if this is a viable option.

Kind regards,

Sander
    Monday, August 17, 2015 1:37 PM
  • I can't find where I need to go to enable file service. A screenshot would help.

After requesting Azure file services, it shows its active. Then go to power shell to run this

and I get the same error given below

# create a context for account and key
    $ctx=New-AzureStorageContext <account name> <account key>

# create a new share
    $s = New-AzureStorageShare datashare -Context $ctx

New-AzureStorageShare : The remote name could not be resolved: 'tmsdata.file.core.windows.net'
    At line:1 char:6
    + $s = New-AzureStorageShare tmsdatashare -Context $ctx
    +      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : CloseError: (:) [New-AzureStorageShare], StorageException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : StorageException,Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Commands.Storage.File.Cmdlet.NewAzureStorageShare

Thanks,

Mano

Mano

Wednesday, August 19, 2015 8:23 PM
  • I can't find where I need to go to enable file service. A screenshot would help.

After requesting Azure file services, it shows its active. Then go to power shell to run this

and I get the same error given below

# create a context for account and key
    $ctx=New-AzureStorageContext <account name> <account key>

# create a new share
    $s = New-AzureStorageShare datashare -Context $ctx

New-AzureStorageShare : The remote name could not be resolved: 'tmsdata.file.core.windows.net'
    At line:1 char:6
    + $s = New-AzureStorageShare tmsdatashare -Context $ctx
    +      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        + CategoryInfo          : CloseError: (:) [New-AzureStorageShare], StorageException
        + FullyQualifiedErrorId : StorageException,Microsoft.WindowsAzure.Commands.Storage.File.Cmdlet.NewAzureStorageShare

Thanks,

Mano

Mano

Mano - I am stuck in the same place you are.  Can't figure out how to enable file service either. Hopefully someone can point us in the right direction.

• Proposed as answer by Dennis1215 Friday, September 4, 2015 4:55 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Dennis1215 Friday, September 4, 2015 4:55 AM
    Friday, September 4, 2015 4:20 AM
  • Mano - I figured it out. Once you request access to Azure Files and it becomes active, you need to create a new storage. Files will then appear. I ended up deleting the first storage and just recreating it and file service was there.
    • Proposed as answer by Dennis1215 Friday, September 4, 2015 4:56 AM
    Friday, September 4, 2015 4:56 AM