none
Service Registry/UDDI with BizTalk Server 2013/ 2013 R2 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

Given that UDDI 3.0 is deprecated, what are the options to create a service registry in BizTalk Server 2013/2013 R2 ?

Ref-

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj248703(v=bts.80).aspx

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/84c01d4d-aba9-4e6e-a693-63095c8d3ce1/uddi-30-deprecated?forum=biztalkgeneral

If the service registry supports SOAP and REST endpoints(with swagger support) it is more preferable.

I am looking for real-life scenarios people have implemented in the enterprise - open to using open-source implementations as well.

Thanks Arindam

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 6:38 AM

Answers

• We are trying to create a unified portal/gateway for all of these services, so that people don't have to run around asking for metadata/URL for a given service. Just go to the portal, search on service name/part of the service name and you're set.

A very noble cause, but I'm telling you from experience, no one will use it, even within the same enterprise.

Well, OK, someone might try to use it but at the slightest deviation from the 100% happy path, the phone calls and emails will start and the registry will be forgotten, except by the poor developers who are required to maintain it knowing that no one is using it.  I have seen this exact thing before.

There is a reason there is no credible player in this space right now.

• Marked as answer by Angie Xu Thursday, April 28, 2016 2:37 AM
    Wednesday, April 13, 2016 1:19 PM
  • Curious to know if anyone has attempted/found an alternative to UDDI, that works well, apart from John's suggestion.

Thanks Arindam

Currently UDDI 3.0 is deprecated in BizTalk Server 2013 R2, there isn't replacement for this. As Johns mentioned above, you need consider using other way, or contact Microsoft Support to get more ideas.

Have a good day.

Regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 6:13 AM

All replies

• So....why do you want to do this?

UDDI was deprecated, and not just by Microsoft, because no one, literally, no one used it.

The problem was entirely practical.  Any registry is only as good as it is maintained.  Once the slightest gap appears, the whole thing becomes pretty much useless.

My professional advice, after dealing with this since creation, don't bother.  You're just adding complexity and admin/process burden for zero benefit.  Which really means it's a net negative.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 12:01 PM
  • Thanks for the reply, John.

There is a need for this in our enterprise as there are multiple platforms exposing services(mainly SOAP for now). Some are pure WCF services in .NET hosted in some app server, some BizTalk services, and some other SAP PI SOAP services. We are trying to create a unified portal/gateway for all of these services, so that people don't have to run around asking for metadata/URL for a given service. Just go to the portal, search on service name/part of the service name and you're set.

Thanks Arindam

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 1:05 PM
  • We are trying to create a unified portal/gateway for all of these services, so that people don't have to run around asking for metadata/URL for a given service. Just go to the portal, search on service name/part of the service name and you're set.

A very noble cause, but I'm telling you from experience, no one will use it, even within the same enterprise.

Well, OK, someone might try to use it but at the slightest deviation from the 100% happy path, the phone calls and emails will start and the registry will be forgotten, except by the poor developers who are required to maintain it knowing that no one is using it.  I have seen this exact thing before.

There is a reason there is no credible player in this space right now.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 1:19 PM
  • Haha...deep down I know you're correct, John.

But, the ground reality is that the decision to build this was taken (not by developers :) ). So, an attempt needs to be made !

Thanks Arindam

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 2:43 PM
  • Ah, Architects....

I'll suggest something that won't be a complete waste of time:

An intranet page where service consumers can download a .zip of the schemas and a short Implementation guide.

Lot's companies do this for their semi-public API.  It's just easier than MEX Endpoints or a service directory or any other nonsense.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016 3:47 PM
  • Curious to know if anyone has attempted/found an alternative to UDDI, that works well, apart from John's suggestion.

Thanks Arindam

Wednesday, April 20, 2016 3:53 AM

Thanks Arindam

Currently UDDI 3.0 is deprecated in BizTalk Server 2013 R2, there isn't replacement for this. As Johns mentioned above, you need consider using other way, or contact Microsoft Support to get more ideas.

Have a good day.

Regards,

Angie

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, April 21, 2016 6:13 AM