none
Visual Studio 2015 Task List is empty

Question

• I have a Task List full of TODOs. Sometimes (After compilation I think) it disappears. Is there a way to refresh the list?
    Sunday, February 14, 2016 9:01 AM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

You must enable following option:

Also only displays for current open document.
    • Edited by drjackool Sunday, February 14, 2016 9:15 AM
    Sunday, February 14, 2016 9:06 AM

• Also only displays for current open document.

So, if I want to find my tasks, spread between 50 source files I need to open them all. Not very useful. Better just search entire solution for "TODO"

I must be missing something.

Sunday, February 14, 2016 9:24 AM
  • You can add TODO task to task list manually instead of writing in the code
    Sunday, February 14, 2016 4:05 PM
  • VS2015? I don't think so.

Here are the options you get when you right-click:

Sunday, February 14, 2016 5:33 PM
  • Oh sorry! I think this feature is dropped from VS2015.
    Monday, February 15, 2016 8:49 AM
  • Thanks for drjackool's reply.

Hi shaul_ei,

Which version of Visual Studio 2015 are you using?

I create a sample project and add several class files in my project with TODO in my Visual Studio Enterprise 2015 Update 1. After building and rebuilding, the TODO list still exist all TODO items.

Please check whether you have installed Update 1 for your Visual Studio 2015. If not, please download and install it from below link.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49989

Then please run your Visual Studio in safe mode with "Deven.exe /SafeMode" command to prevents all third-party VSPackages from loading when Visual Studio starts, thus ensuring stable execution.

In addition, please check the ActiveLog.xml when the Task List is empty under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 5:22 AM
  • Hi Weiwei and than you for your reply.

Let me answer your interesting post one point at a time:

Which version of Visual Studio 2015 are you using? Please check whether you have installed Update 1 for your Visual Studio 2015.

It is VS2015 Community 14.0.24720.00 with SP1 - so we're OK there.

Then please run your Visual Studio in safe mode

Did it. I can't see any difference (There's a "Safe Mode" in the window's title bar)

In addition, please check the ActiveLog.xml when the Task List is empty under the path of %AppData%\Microsoft\VisualStudio\14.0. This file will log all operations when you operate Visual Studio.

Maybe the clue is that this file exists but was not modified since December:

<entry>
        <record>1684</record>
        <time>2015/12/22 15:30:34.127</time>
        <type>Error</type>
        <source>VisualStudio</source>
        <description>End package load [RoslynPackage]</description>
        <guid>{6CF2E545-6109-4730-8883-CF43D7AEC3E1}</guid>
        <hr>80131500</hr>
        <errorinfo>An exception was thrown while initializing part "Microsoft.VisualStudio.LanguageServices.Implementation.Options.InternalOptionSerializer".</errorinfo>
      </entry>

Regards,

Shaul

Tuesday, February 16, 2016 10:15 AM
  • Hi shaul_ei,

Thanks for your response for above steps. Based on the test result, your Visual Studio environment is the same with mine and there don't has any exception for this issue.

Now let me check whether it is related to your project. Please create a new project to check whether all project has this issue or just the specific project has this issue.

If the new project works fine, please remove the .suo file for current solution and then rebuild it to check whether it is still exist. Then please move the project file to the new project one by one. It can help us make sure which file will cause this issue.

If all project has this issue, please tell me the detailed operation procedure step by step to help me reproduce your issue in my side. If I can reproduce it in my side, it may be a problem for Visual Studio 2015.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 1:32 AM
  • I reproduced the problem with a new standard Win32 project

1. Started VS2015
    2. File->New->Project...
    3. Win32 Project (Location Desktop\TEST_VS2015\)
    4. NEXT->Windows application->Finish
    5. Open "Task List" while file Win32Project1.cpp tab is open
    6. 2 "TODOs" are displayed
    7. Closing  Win32Project1.cpp tab 
    8. Task List is empty!

Hope this helps. 

Wednesday, February 17, 2016 4:35 PM
  • Hi shaul_ei,

Thanks for your detailed steps, I also reproduce your problem in Visual Studio Community 2015 Update 1. My previous test is a C# project which has no issue.

So this is a Visual Studio problem in C++ project, I suggest you submit this issue with the detailed steps to Visual Studio Connect.  I think the report team experts will evaluate this problem seriously and give us the Email update. Thanks for your feedback for the VS products.

After submitting, please share the link here. I will to vote it and it can let other communities who has the same problem to vote and add comments for your feedback.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Thursday, February 18, 2016 1:57 AM
  • Hi Weiwei,

Here is the link  to the issue.

Thank you for your time

Thursday, February 18, 2016 6:27 AM
  • Hi shaul_ei,

Thanks for your feedback link, I have vote it. I will close this thread later.

If any other questions about Visual Studio, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,
    Weiwei

Friday, February 19, 2016 1:32 AM