Using "localhost" in the Package Path RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

I'm desperately trying to configure a package path for a child package using "localhost" in SSIS 2005.

In the connection manager for the package execution task I set: @[User::PACKAGE_PATH]+"MyPackage.dtsx" (@[User::PACKAGE_PATH] = \\localhost\packages\)

I can open the package using that path in windows explorer but when debugging locally from BIDs it fails to load the package => "Error 0x80070003 while loading package file ... the specified path is not found".

It seems that "localhost" is not supported in the ConnectionString of package connection manager.

If I use my comp IP or DNS  instead of localhost everything works fine, so is this a real limitation of SSIS 2005 ?

Thanks.

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 9:57 AM

Answers

• Try using the @[System::MachineName] system variable to build your path string.

Then functionally it will be the same as localhost.

J

• Proposed as answer by Jason V Campbell Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by guestMS Tuesday, November 9, 2010 1:36 PM
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:15 AM

All replies

• first of all I would not suggest you ever use localhost in a connectionstring. Just use the hostname or DNS .

About your question "Can you use it in connection manager" .. Yes you can . Is it because of a BUG of the SSIS version you have , I am not sure but it may also be attributed to the issues with config issues at your network level or permission issues.

There are few examples like this . Have a look here http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/forums/en-US/sqlintegrationservices/thread/23c264d2-39eb-4d9a-8dba-83b0a555249d/

Ashwani Roy

Blog

Twitter

Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 10:55 AM
  • Try using the @[System::MachineName] system variable to build your path string.

Then functionally it will be the same as localhost.

J

• Proposed as answer by Jason V Campbell Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:52 AM
    • Marked as answer by guestMS Tuesday, November 9, 2010 1:36 PM
    Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:15 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for ur reply.

@Ashwani Roy: we want to use localhost to be able to use the same package config between different computer (providing they use the same folder structure) without having to change the computer name every time.

@JasonVC: This is the way I solved the issue but I was wondering if it was a bug or if there was a more convenient way of doing it...

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:39 AM
  • @guestMC

I dont know of any such bug neither I have faced such a issue. You can use localhost in connection string and I do it all the time in DEV environment.

"we want to use localhost to be able to use the same package config between different computer "

That is achieved by making a config driven ETL where in you configure the properties via XML / Database config rather than doing this approach. While this works for now mostl of time you dbs can be on a sever which does not host the SSIS server or you have file system storage for SSIS packages or many  more scenarios.

I prefer the approach ( and so will many other SSIS practitioners ) to have a environment variable say SSIS_CONFIG which points to a XML config file which has all these properties set. On you UAT and PROD the server on which SSIS package is has env var of same name but will point to other XML file which has UAT / PROD configurations.

have a look here http://www.sqlis.com/post/Easy-Package-Configuration.aspx  or here http://codeperfect.co.uk/2010/09/09/ssis-on-sybase-driving-properties-from-configurations/ 

Approach like useing localhost is fine in DEV but it hides the information and induces a possiblily of a BUG in future.

Ashwani Roy

Blog

Twitter

Please click the Mark as Answer button if a post solves your problem!

Tuesday, November 9, 2010 11:56 AM