RTM Known Issue: Release configuration fails to build on using Desktop and Mobile Extension SDKs in a Universal Windows app

Question

• Release configuration fails to build on using Desktop and Mobile Extension SDKs in a Universal Windows app.

LOGGERBASEDEXECTASK : ILC error ILC1004
    Wednesday, July 29, 2015 6:25 PM

Answers

• To work around this issue, update the targets file.

1. Close all instances of Visual Studio.
    2. Copy the file from https://gist.github.com/MattWhilden/7579984e0d8e6541716a
    3. Replace the Microsoft.NetNative.targets under C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\.NetNative with the new targets file.
    4. Relaunch Visual Studio and rebuild your solution.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 10:25 PM

All replies

• To work around this issue, update the targets file.

1. Close all instances of Visual Studio.
    2. Copy the file from https://gist.github.com/MattWhilden/7579984e0d8e6541716a
    3. Replace the Microsoft.NetNative.targets under C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft\.NetNative with the new targets file.
    4. Relaunch Visual Studio and rebuild your solution.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 10:25 PM
  • I tried to contact that email address but it got bounced.

Can you send me an updated target file at j b w e i m a r a t g m a i l d o t c o m?

Thank you.

Friday, July 31, 2015 2:08 AM
  • Error Found: The supported APIs test detected the following errors:
    • API OpenSemaphore in api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-1-0.dll is not supported for this application type. System.Threading.dll calls this API.
    • API CreateSemaphore in api-ms-win-core-kernel32-legacy-l1-1-0.dll is not supported for this application type. System.Threading.dll calls this API.
    • API ExecuteAssembly in uwphost.dll is not supported for this application type. BrainPOP ESL.exe calls this API.
    • API DllGetActivationFactory in uwphost.dll is not supported for this application type. BrainPOP ESL.exe has an export that forwards to this API.

Is this the error associated with what you describe above?

Friday, July 31, 2015 4:34 AM
  • @BrainPOP LLC, have you been able to get this .targets file?
    • Edited by Sgt-Riggs Friday, July 31, 2015 6:19 AM
    Friday, July 31, 2015 6:17 AM
  • No, not yet. 

Friday, July 31, 2015 4:06 PM
  • Just fixed the email address. Sorry about that.
    • Proposed as answer by Alovchin Friday, July 31, 2015 8:06 PM
    Friday, July 31, 2015 4:29 PM
  • I've requested the file as well.

When trying to build in Release or trying to create a Store package, I'm running into the error in the original post. I also get this error:

Directory 'C:Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\References\Windows.Web.Http.Diagnostics.HttpDiagnosticsContract\1.0.0.0' passed to argument 'externalReferencePath' does not exist.

The path doesn't exist because there's a missing backslash between C: and Program Files. I'm guessing the updated targets file fixes this?

Rob

Friday, July 31, 2015 8:41 PM
  • I've got the similar error with Robert.

LOGGERBASEDEXECTASK : ILC error ILC1004: Directory 'C:\Program Fies (x86)\Windows Kits\10\References\Windows.UI.Xaml.Hosting.HostingContract\1.0.0.0' passed to argument 'externalReferencePath' does not exist.

The error msg said 'C:\Program Fies' .. not 'Files'. ???

Then, I've send a mail to dotnetnative@microsoft.com, but the 'postmaster@microsoft.com' send me the error mail as below. oh...

(Edited : By using updated .targets file, I could build the project without ILC1004 error. Thanks!)

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

<mailaddress deleted>

Your message couldn't be delivered because the group you're sending to needs to know who you are before it will accept your message.

• Edited by pnp0a03_MVP Sunday, August 02, 2015 6:56 PM Succeed
    Sunday, August 02, 2015 2:50 PM
  • I was able to get the file from Microsoft. It took a couple of tests, but they fixed the issue with a quick turnaround.

But now I'm running into a run-time issue. I can build the app now, but trying to run the app in release mode throws MissingRuntimeArtifactExceptions because of the optimizations.

Rob

Sunday, August 02, 2015 7:09 PM
  • Hi Robert, take a look at the .NET blog post on MissingMetadataExceptions. Hopefully that should help you out (MissingRuntimeArtifactExceptions and MissingMetadataExceptions happen for the same basic reasons, so that guidance should apply).
    Tuesday, August 04, 2015 2:37 AM
  • Error Found: The supported APIs test detected the following errors:
    • API OpenSemaphore in api-ms-win-core-synch-l1-1-0.dll is not supported for this application type. System.Threading.dll calls this API.
    • API CreateSemaphore in api-ms-win-core-kernel32-legacy-l1-1-0.dll is not supported for this application type. System.Threading.dll calls this API.
    • API ExecuteAssembly in uwphost.dll is not supported for this application type. BrainPOP ESL.exe calls this API.
    • API DllGetActivationFactory in uwphost.dll is not supported for this application type. BrainPOP ESL.exe has an export that forwards to this API.

Is this the error associated with what you describe above?

I'm having this exact same API issues when running the certification test on an app I'm trying to submit to the store. I'm not calling any of those symbols. I tried contacting the email address above, but it bounced back. Anybody out there that can help?

Tuesday, August 04, 2015 11:08 PM
  • This is almost certainly because you're running against a package that is not .NET Native enabled. Check your build logs for a call to ilc.exe (the .NET Native compiler) to confirm.
    Wednesday, August 05, 2015 12:29 AM
  • For future reference, my problem was that I moved the project manually from Windows 8.1 to Universal, and I didn't have the <UseDotNetNativeToolchain> option in the release settings for my project.

Thanks Matthew for steering me in the right direction.

Wednesday, August 05, 2015 3:24 PM
  • Hi Paul,

your solution works, but it seems to slow down the compilation process (in release).

Thsnks

Wednesday, August 12, 2015 4:41 PM