none
Kinect for XBox vs for Windows - Why that big price difference? RRS feed

• Question

• I want to buy a sensor to start doing some programming with it. I don't understand something. Why the sensor for Windows is so much more expensive? In Amazon.fr I see the following:

Kinect for Windows: 208 EUR
    Kinect for XBOX: 109-139 EUR
    Adapter to use Kinect for XBOX in Windows: 12 EUR

1) Why that big difference?

2) Are there technical differences between either Windows-XBOX sensors or between XBOX sensors themselves? Are there old versions of sensors that I may want to avoid?

Dimitris Papadimitriou, Software Development Professional

Sunday, July 8, 2012 7:02 PM

All replies

• Answers I've heard are:

1. Xbox Kinect is cross-subsidised via console sales somehow, Kinect for Windows isn't.

2. The Windows version has different firmware which clips the depth image much closer to the device than the Xbox version and thus supports "near mode", which the Xbox version does not. I'm using an early UK version of the Xbox Kinect and it seems fine. Early versions come with a power adapter supplied, unlike the newer Xbox versions I believe.

Tuesday, July 10, 2012 8:05 PM
  • Also see this thread.
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 8:56 AM
  • musigui seems to be on the right track but better resolutions i think were in kinect for windows from the blog posts and forum posts i remember reading. So detection has improved some on kinect for windows but i think mostly they wanted to seperate the sales or tell the kinect apart from usage on windows or better stated in number one above.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

• Edited by The Thinker Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:21 PM
    Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:21 PM
  • P.S. if student here soon the $150 educational pricing for kinect for windows starts so you can get it cheaper then the listed commerical product price.

Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. - "Sherlock holmes" "speak softly and carry a big stick" - theodore roosevelt. Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering - Yoda. Blog - http://jefferycarlsonblog.blogspot.com/

Wednesday, July 11, 2012 7:22 PM