none
How to move the "Description" field in Custom List to be under its column's text itself?

Question

• Hello Forum,

In my Office 365 (SharePoint Online) I have a very simple Custom List which has a few columns/fields, and I added some description to add clarity to users. The problem is that the description's text gets added on the right-side underneath. Also,The company are not allowing using InfoPath nor any third-party solution. So, My only options are: SharePoint Designer & JavaScript.

Is there any way in SharePoint Designer or JavaScript to move the "Description" field under its column's text itself? Something like the screenshot below: 

Placing the Description field under the field name itself

Could you please guide me how to accomplish this?

I would sincerely appreciate any help in this, Please !

Thank you very much !

Friday, December 23, 2016 12:43 AM

All replies

• Hi Mate,

You can try the JQuery below

jQuery('.ms-metadata').each(function(i,obj){var dest = jQuery(obj).parents('tr:first').find('td.ms-formlabel'); jQuery(dest).append('<br>');jQuery(obj).appendTo(dest);})
    jQuery('.ms-formlabel').css({'white-space':'normal'});

Please note that this works for the current version of SP form, it may break if the ootb form layout changes.

Use it at your own risk :)

Cheng

Friday, December 23, 2016 1:52 AM
  • Hi Asker- you can either put the comment in the field before it instead of the actual field you want it on. Or you can us SP Designer to add your own font wherever you want.

cameron rautmann

Friday, December 23, 2016 2:22 PM
  • Hi Asker2012,

How are things going? Does the information provided by Cheng answer your question?

If you think the answer is helpful, please mark it as answer. It will help other users who meet the same issue in this forum.

Best regards,

Linda Zhang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Monday, December 26, 2016 8:47 AM