none
Wizard does not come out RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

According to this

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa560708%28v=bts.10%29.aspx

I’ve done these steps

To create an empty BizTalk project

1. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Microsoft Visual Studio 2008, and then click Microsoft Visual Studio 2008.
    2. On the File menu, point to New, and then click Project.
    3. In the New Project dialog box, in the Project Types section, click BizTalk Projects, and then in the Templates section, click Empty BizTalk Server Project.
    4. In the Name box, type SQL_Adapter_SP, and then click OK.

The new SQL_Adapter_SP project appears.

To add metadata to the BizTalk project

1. In Visual Studio, in Solution Explorer, right-click SQL_Adapter_SP, point to Add, and then click Add Generated Items.
    2. In the Add Generated Items – SQL_Adapter_SP dialog box, in the Templates section, click Add Adapter Metadata, and then click Add.

But I do not see Add Adapter Wizard comes out. Is this due to a problem in my machine?

Many Thanks & Best Regards, Hua Min

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 6:50 AM

Answers

All replies

• If the "Add Adapter Wizard" do not appear after step 2. then what does happen? Does VS crash? Do you just return to VS? Anything in the Event Log?

Morten la Cour

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 7:02 AM
  • Try the same thing on one of the MSDN virtual lab machines and see what you get: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/aa740373

Bill Chesnut | BizTalk Server MVP | Mexia Consulting | Melbourne Australia
    http://www.biztalkbill.com
    Please indicate "Mark as Answer" if this post has answered the question.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 7:06 AM
  • Morten,
    I do not any recent error in the even log.

Bill,
    why doesn't the wizard come out?

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 7:18 AM
  • I have seen issues when there are mismatched .net version or a broken install, what is the base OS?  What version of BizTalk?  Have you tried a repair on your BizTalk installation?

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 9:02 AM
  • It is Windows 2003 server with Biztalk 2009 inside. How to identify the reason of it for further repair?

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 9:26 AM
  • Not sure, was it working ever?

if so, what did you install since it was working, that may have broken it.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 10:28 AM
  • It did not work before. How to ensure it is fine?

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 3:47 PM
  • Hi HuaMin,

As Morten mentioned, what does it happens when you click Add(after click Add Adapter Metadata)? Does the Add Generated Items – SQL_Adapter_SP dialog box disappeared, the Add Adapter Wizard didn't come out, you returned back to Visual Studio with nothing happened?

If this is you case, please check the folder (Developer Tools\Schema Generators) under BizTalk Installation folder, if a sub folder "Add Adapter" doesn't not exist, you probably need to perform a repair on BizTalk installation to fix this issue. If "Add Adapter" folder does exist, you can run Process Monitor, isolate devenv.exe and the failed activities to determine the root cause.

If this is an urgent issue, I'd suggest you open a support case via Microsoft support to help you resolve this issue. Thanks.

Leo Tang [MSFT]
    MSDN Community Support | Feedback to us
    Get or Request Code Sample from Microsoft
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 8:43 AM
  • I've retried it and against have got that Add Adapter Wizard didn't come out. Where does Developer Tools folder reside?

Wednesday, October 10, 2012 9:04 AM
  • Hi,

It reside in the BizTalk installation folder, drive:\Program Files\Microsoft BizTalk Server 2009 by default.

Leo Tang [MSFT]
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.

Thursday, October 11, 2012 1:56 AM
  • Hi HuaMin,

If "Add Adapter" folder does exist, you can run Process Monitor, isolate devenv.exe and the failed activities to determine the root cause.

If this is an urgent issue, I'd suggest you open a support case via Microsoft support to help you resolve this issue. Thanks.

Leo Tang [MSFT]

Thanks. I can see "Add Adapter" folder now, how to run Process Monitor?

Thursday, October 11, 2012 2:55 AM
  • Hi Hua Min,

You can download Process Monitor from here:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

Thanks.

Leo Tang [MSFT]

Thursday, October 11, 2012 7:52 AM
  • I've set up Process monitor on the machine. When I am to retry that, how can I know there is anything wrong through Process Monitor?

Thursday, October 11, 2012 8:37 AM
  • Hi HuaMin,

Generally, you need to focus on something like "access denied", "name not found" ... But it is not an easy work.

It will be better if you capture another process monitor log on a machine that do not have the issue. Then compare the difference to determine the problem.

I am afraid your biztalk dev environment was not setup correctly. I suggest you reinstall dev envrionment(biztalk, addapter pack and etc...) following the installation guide to avoid encountering more small problems like this in the future.

Thanks,

Alan Yao [MSFT]

Monday, October 15, 2012 9:31 AM
  • Do you mean re-installing the whole Biztalk server is probably needed for resolving this problem?

Monday, October 15, 2012 9:43 AM
  • Yes, I've consulted an experienced engineer and he told me he encountered more than 1 cases that have the samilar problem, and the final resolution is reinstall. But the key reason I ask you to reinstall is you may encounter more problems that caused because the bad biztalk dev environment.

Alan Yao [MSFT]

Monday, October 15, 2012 9:53 AM
  • So please carefully follow the installation guide to set up a good envrionment, which will help you save more time.

Alan Yao [MSFT]

Monday, October 15, 2012 9:55 AM
  • Dear HuaMin,

If you have any concerns about reinstall, I suggest you contact our phone support at http://support.microsoft.com. Per my experience, the resolution will be same as mine.

Thanks for your understanding.

Alan Yao [MSFT]

Monday, October 15, 2012 9:58 AM
  • Can you please advise if reinstallation is to remove/install everything of Biztalk in the current server?

Tuesday, October 16, 2012 2:53 AM
  • Hi,

You can use the procedures under the uninstalling BizTalk Server section in the BizTalk document to uninstall BizTalk Server 2009 completely

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=4066

Thanks.

Leo Tang [MSFT]

• Marked as answer by Jackson_1990 Thursday, October 18, 2012 1:51 AM
    Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:55 AM