none
what i have to chose XML or SQL? RRS feed

• Question

• hi guys,i have a wriiten a c# program that at first it ask for user and pass.
    how should i implement that.should i use a xml file or sql?which one is better and takes little time?

mark helpfull if it is,Thanks
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 10:31 AM

Answers

• Since you don't have massive amounts of data I would suggest using an xml-file. You can then read it out with the XmlDocument class. This would be the route I'd take.

Make sure you secure your credentials in the file though...

I'm not sure if you could use application settings as well for the job.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 10:42 AM
  • XML are better for minimal data. but if you are working against large amount of information you need database on that. second, you have to consider using security in using XML files as your authentication information holder.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:55 AM
  • I agree with the comments above, but consider the fact that it's easier to protect data and manage security with an SQL Server database, rather than with XML and since you talk about sensitive data, perhaps SQL would be preferable.
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 1:20 PM

All replies

• Since you don't have massive amounts of data I would suggest using an xml-file. You can then read it out with the XmlDocument class. This would be the route I'd take.

Make sure you secure your credentials in the file though...

I'm not sure if you could use application settings as well for the job.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 10:42 AM
  • XML are better for minimal data. but if you are working against large amount of information you need database on that. second, you have to consider using security in using XML files as your authentication information holder.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 11:55 AM
  • I agree with the comments above, but consider the fact that it's easier to protect data and manage security with an SQL Server database, rather than with XML and since you talk about sensitive data, perhaps SQL would be preferable.
    Tuesday, March 11, 2008 1:20 PM