How to merge two ASP.Net projects (A Dynamic Data one and a Normal one) RRS feed

• Question

• User-326746839 posted

Hi,

Knowing that I already know that you can merge an ASP.Net project with a Dynamic Data one, I'd like to know a couple of things clearer:

1) Should I use the Dynamic Data project as the base project and merge into it the 2nd normal ASP.Net project or should it be the other way around)

2) How can I make the Dynamic Data features, such as validation, MetaData usage and so forth available for the non-Dynamic Data pages?

Is there a path or something that can be followed in order to accomplish these tasks?

Carlos N. Porras
    (El Salvador)

Saturday, March 14, 2015 10:15 AM

Answers

• User-330204900 posted

that only works on controls where you SetMetaTable i.e. you have to enable Dynamic Data and that relies on you have entities that have metadata on them that you can use in the SetMetaTable extension method.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, March 15, 2015 5:09 PM

All replies

• User-330204900 posted

Hi Carlos, I always start with a DD project and then add my plain asp.net pages to that you can configure routing so that the pages look like the they are in the DD structure but it's not required.

Always remember though DD is just plain old Web Forms with some templates and some metadata it's not fundamentally different like MVC is. :D 

Saturday, March 14, 2015 11:03 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

Hi Steve,

But how do you do to get #2 (MetaData and validation) to be available on your non-Dynamic Data pages?

Carlos N.Porras
    (El Salvador)

Sunday, March 15, 2015 9:32 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

that only works on controls where you SetMetaTable i.e. you have to enable Dynamic Data and that relies on you have entities that have metadata on them that you can use in the SetMetaTable extension method.

• Marked as answer by Anonymous Thursday, October 7, 2021 12:00 AM
    Sunday, March 15, 2015 5:09 PM
  • User1037441716 posted

can i implement jqgrid in place of normal grid in dynamic data site.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015 9:16 AM
  • User-326746839 posted

Steve is the expert here

In my opinion you can't because of all of the work that is done by the DD behind engine dll's

My guess is that the GridView control is vital part of all of DD and is needed to make the proper functions call 

I'm just guessing

Carlos N. Porras
    (El Salvador)

Thursday, April 9, 2015 2:08 AM
  • User-330204900 posted

Hi Carlos you are mostly right but you could write an asp.net server control that implemented jqgrid and that would work but it would be a bigish job.

Thursday, April 9, 2015 4:52 AM