none
Dual Booting RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Users,

I need to dual boot Vista and Windows server 2003. It must be possible and if it is I guess if I install win 2003 after vista, i will loose vista? whats the solution

Best Regards,
    Aakash
    Tuesday, November 1, 2005 9:27 AM

All replies

• Hi,

It is possible. Take a look at the following post:
    http://forums.microsoft.com/msdn/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=102000

Regards,
    Vikram
    Tuesday, November 1, 2005 12:05 PM
  • Looking to dual boot win xp sp2 and vista 5308.  Two seperate hd's.  Is it best to Leave xp on C(current install now) and load vista on F as slave switch it tomaster and switch over.  But hate the thought of disconnecting and reconnecting all the time. 

I see instructions to dual boot on multiple partitions, but not seperate hd's.  Any suggestions please.

Have heard horror stories on dual booting vista as secondary.

Doug C

doug_cooley@hotmail.com 

Thursday, March 16, 2006 12:18 PM
  • As I said in the thread linked to a couple above this I had zero problems dual booting with XP and Vista in partitions.  I don't really see why it should be any different on two drives.  As I have no experience with Server 2003 I can't say that it would work the same but would expect it to.

As a suggestion I would image your 2003 install and go ahead and install Vista on the second drive.  Worst that can really happen is that you reformat the second drive and restore the 2003 image.

Once both are installed you will see Vista listed as Windows and 2003 listed as Legacy.  Vista will be the default.  You can easily edit the boot loader in the Vista Control Panel to make 2003 default if you want.

Thursday, March 16, 2006 9:21 PM