none
License for Creating Excel File in Web Application RRS feed

• Question

• My web application that will be installed in an MS windows server with IIS, one of the function within my application will generate a .xls file according to the data retrieve from DB. Do MS Office is required to be installed on the server as the License issue? Thanks!

• Edited by Curl Chan Wednesday, March 2, 2016 2:28 AM
    Wednesday, March 2, 2016 2:27 AM

Answers

• Hi Curl,

>> one of the function within my application will generate a .xls file according to the data retrieve from DB

Do you mean you want to create excel file in web application? If so, I suggest you check the link below, Microsoft does not currently recommend, and does not support, Automation of Microsoft Office applications from any unattended, non-interactive client application or component (including ASP, ASP.NET, DCOM, and NT Services), because Office may exhibit unstable behavior and/or deadlock when Office is run in this environment.

# Considerations for server-side Automation of Office
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/257757

If you want to create excel file in web application, I suggest you use OpenXML SDK.

Best Regards,

Edward

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Thursday, March 3, 2016 8:28 AM