none
Error Question RRS feed

• Question

• I have an access 2013 back end/ front end project.  When I run the front end,  I get the following error message.  I have never seen anything like this before.  What is this trying to tell me?  Is the problem with the front end (Which is a accde file) or the back end which is a accdb file?  Any advice on how to recover?

Monday, March 25, 2019 8:07 PM

All replies

• Hi. I think it means the file you're trying to open is corrupted. Try opening a known good backup copy of it to see if it still works or produces the same error.
    Monday, March 25, 2019 8:10 PM
  • I would re-create the FE by recompiling the FE's accdb to accde (File > Save As).

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 3:51 AM
  • Tom and Gus,

Thanks as usual for your input.  This happens only at the customer site, not in my development environment.  I had the customer create a new ACCDE from his stored/archived ACCDB front end.  The problem still existed.  I asked him to compact and repair the back end just in case, haven't heard back. 

If none of that works, I will send him my copy of the ACCDB front end to make his ACCDE file from.  I cannot make ACCDE files for him, as I use access 2013 and he uses an older version. (2007?)   ACCDE files that I make for him will not run in his environment. 

I might ask him to send his files to me for test to see if it happens here with his files.  Will keep you posted.

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 8:50 PM
  •  I cannot make ACCDE files for him, as I use access 2013 and he uses an older version. (2007?)

Hi tkosel,

Isn't that the problem that you develop in A2013, and heve it run in an older version?

Imb.

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 10:04 PM
  • .accdb files you send him won't run either. You will need to completely re-develop the application in version 2007 before your client can use it. You can't expect a 2007 user to run an application developed in version 2013. No software is forward compatible that I know of.
    Tuesday, March 26, 2019 10:18 PM
  • Lawence,

Thanks for your response.

I should be more specific.  I use access 2013 but the db is in the 2007 format when I work on it.  However, it appears that when I try to make a accde file it compiles it in access 2013 format anyhow.  They can run the accdb file that I sent them but not the accde file.

Tuesday, March 26, 2019 11:31 PM
  • File formats have nothing to do with it. Rather it's about capabilities. Imb is correct: you CANNOT develop in a higher version than your users. You MAY sometimes get lucky, but it cannot be used as standard practice.

Here is an analogy about file format: I send you an XML file and you can process it. Then I send you another one with some new attributes. It's still an XML file and you can process parts of it, but the new stuff you can't handle. That is how A2007 feels in an A2013 world. Don't go there.

-Tom. Microsoft Access MVP

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 2:44 AM
  • Tom and others,

What about this.  I have always saved my DB in the format of access that the customer has.   I was wrong, this customer uses 2002-2003.  When I do this and send it to the customer, s/he saves it as an accde using his/her copy of access and everything seems fine.  If I save it as a accde using access 2013m even though the file format is saved as access 2002-2003 it will not run on the customer site.

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 1:54 PM
  • I suggest you build virtual machines and install various versions of Office so you are always using the same version that your clients use. It might be financially painful to do this at first, but in the long run you will save yourself lots of time and money.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Wednesday, March 27, 2019 8:50 PM
  • Bill,

I appreciate your input as usual.  However, I probably have already dug myself into a hole.  What I don't understand is how come Microsoft allows me to save and develop files in access 2013 as older versions. 

See my previous post.

Thursday, March 28, 2019 1:56 AM
  • Bill,

I appreciate your input as usual.  However, I probably have already dug myself into a hole.  What I don't understand is how come Microsoft allows me to save and develop files in access 2013 as older versions. 

See my previous post.

I've always found that to be nothing but trouble. Newer versions can add new system tables and indices. These are usually benign but can also cause unexplained behavior.

Plus, if you inadvertently add some new feature to an old versioned database technically, it shouldn't compile. But if it does you are now in the realm of the truly unknown.

Because of this behavior, I always develop in the version the client is running.

Bill Mosca
    www.thatlldoit.com
    http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/MS_Access_Professionals

Friday, March 29, 2019 4:56 PM