none
VS 2015, Office 2016 - XML expansion pack doesn't load RRS feed

• Question

• I have a VBA Word add-in that I have been using for many years. A few years ago, I tried to move it up to Office 2013, but no luck. I got "You are currently viewing this document in multiple windows. To attach an XML expansion pack, you must first close all additional windows so that you are viewing the document in only one window."

I couldn't find any additional windows and no help via searching this forum or on Google, so I gave up temporarily and stayed with VS 2012 and Word 2010 where everything worked fine. I finally decided that I really needed to move up as I couldn't depend on having Word 2010 around forever. So I moved to VS 2015 Pro with VSTO and Word 2016. The same error appeared and I still can't figure out how to get around it.

The add-in uses several expansion panes although only one at a time. Mostly they display a kind of progress status using check boxes to show which work items have been completed. I should mention that I also add another tab to the Word ribbon that contains all the buttons to trigger various work items in the add-in.

Again, remember that this all works with VS 2012 Pro with VSTO and Word 2010, but not with Word 2013 or 2016. Moving up to VS 2015 added some nice changes, but didn't fix the problem. The relevant code is shown below:

Sub SetFixupPane(ByRef NewPP As Boolean, ByVal Title As String) ' ' Initializes the Fixup Progress action Pane. ' ' NewPP is set to True if a new action pane needs to be instantiated, false otherwise. ' If a new pane is instantiated: ' Title becomes the title of the action pane ' PP is defined in the main block as:

' Dim PP As FixupActionPane = Nothing

'

If PP Is Nothing Then ' ' Display progress action pane. ' NewPP = True PP = New FixupActionPane PP.DocTypeLabel.Text = Title Me.ActionsPane.Clear() Me.ActionsPane.Visible = True Me.ActionsPane.AutoRecover = True Me.ActionsPane.Controls.Add(PP) PP.Visible = True Me.ActionsPane.ActiveControl = PP Else NewPP = False End If End Sub

• Edited by RQ Smith Sunday, August 7, 2016 7:43 PM
    Sunday, August 7, 2016 3:35 PM

Answers

• Hi RQ Smith,

According to your description, this workaround is that you could display the actions pane in the Startup event handler of ThisDocument so that the actions pane is visible when the user first opens the document, then you could display or hide this action pane.

For more information, click here to refer about Actions Pane Overview

Thanks for your understanding.
    • Proposed as answer by David_JunFeng Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:50 AM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:03 AM

All replies

• >>>Again, remember that this all works with VS 2012 Pro with VSTO and Word 2010, but not with Word 2013 or 2016. 

According to your description, I have created one Word 2013 Document Add-in with your sample codes to try to reproduce this issue, unfortunately, I am not able to reproduce it.

So I suggest that you could proive full sample codes and screenshot, that will help us reproduce and resolve your issue.

Monday, August 8, 2016 4:49 AM
  • Thank you very much for the quick response.

I have uploaded a cut-down version of my project that should demonstrate the error. There is still quite a bit of possibly unnecessary stuff in the project but I left it in case it turns out to be pertinent. I did delete most of the unnecessary code in the main program.

I'm not sure if it is pertinent, but the template used by this project (Legacy.dotm) contains Custom XML which allows changing of some of the variables used in the program without having to rebuild the project. Basically, all the project options are there.

You can find all of this in my OneDrive at: 1drv.ms/f/s!Arawh5NzfdDjgsELZ84WP0kRcJ-poQ  which is a folder named ErrorVersion. Note that you will have to prepend https:// to the beginning. I can't put an actual link here.

When you start Debug in VS for this project, it will open an empty word document using the template Legacy.dotm which is part of the project. In that Word document first select Insert|Object|Text from file. Then choose the file Jane.docx which is part of the directory from OneDrive.

Then click on the Legacy tab in the Word document ribbon and then on the Fixup button on the far left in the Descendant Doc group. That will trigger the error which appears when you get to

Me.ActionsPane.Visible = True

in the code shown above.

Thanks again for all the help,

Ron Smith

Monday, August 8, 2016 10:43 AM
  • Hi RQ Smith,

We are doing the research about your problem. There might be some delay about the response.

Appreciate your patience.

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 9:52 AM
  • Thank you very much. I am just happy that you are looking into it.

Ron Smith

Tuesday, August 9, 2016 10:44 AM
  • Hi RQ Smith,

Thanks for your sharing this project, I have downloaded them, but there are too many project files and codes to reproduce your issue hardly. So I suggest that you could provide sample codes that maybe cause this issue, or you could made a sample as simple as possible to reproduce this issue. That will help us reproduce and resolve issue.

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 9:47 AM
  • I have made the sample as small as I can, I believe. The new, smaller version is in the same location.

I only left the part of the main code that triggers the problem and the two necessary design and code elements that implement the Legacy tab in the Genealogy ribbon and the instantiation of the action pane itself.

Thank you again for the time you have spent.

Ron

Wednesday, August 10, 2016 10:34 AM
  • Hi RQ Smith,

Could you provide sample codes that is related to cause your issue, we need this full project,  that will help us focus and reproduce this issue.

Friday, August 12, 2016 9:31 AM
  • I'm not sure I understand what you are looking for. I provided the full project, but with all extraneous code removed. The VS 2015 project is at

1drv.ms/f/s!Arawh5NzfdDjgsELZ84WP0kRcJ-poQ (put https://) before this url to make it complete.

In order to run that project using Visual Studio and then debug it, start the project using VS, then select Start Debug. It will load an empty Word file using the document template. Then select the Insert tab in Word and "Object|Text from file". Choose the file Jane.docx which is in the root of the project directory.

Then go to the Legacy tab on the Ribbon and click on the "Fix-up" button in the Descendant Doc group. This is on the far left.

That will trigger the error when it reaches the line

Me.ActionsPane.Visible = True

In the procedure

Sub SetFixupPane(ByRef NewPP As Boolean, ByVal Title As String)

Please let me know if there is something else that you need.

Friday, August 12, 2016 10:40 AM
  • Hi RQ Smith,

Thanks very much for your detail steps to help us reproduce this issue. 

I’m able to reproduce this issue now. Unfortunately, I did not see any workaround to overcome this. I will still keep troubleshooting this issue but it will take some time.

In addition if you have any feedback for Word, please feel free to submit them to User Voice:

https://word.uservoice.com/

Monday, August 15, 2016 9:55 AM
  • Thank you so very much for all of your help. I  very much appreciate it.

I hope you do find something. In meantime I will shut off the action pane as it is just used for status information. As the full process runs for some minutes, the action pane was a very nice indication that things were still processing, but it isn't absolutely necessary.

Ron

Monday, August 15, 2016 10:20 AM
  • Hi RQ Smith,

According to your description, this workaround is that you could display the actions pane in the Startup event handler of ThisDocument so that the actions pane is visible when the user first opens the document, then you could display or hide this action pane.

For more information, click here to refer about Actions Pane Overview

• Proposed as answer by David_JunFeng Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:50 AM
    • Marked as answer by David_JunFeng Thursday, August 25, 2016 1:50 AM
    Tuesday, August 16, 2016 2:03 AM
  • Thank you very much.

I will give that a try as soon as I can. I'm travelling right now, so it will be a couple of weeks before I can try.

Tuesday, August 16, 2016 10:17 AM