none
Cut and Paste between subsites in Expression Web 4 RRS feed

• Question

• Back in the old Front Page days, you could copy pages between subsites (then called subwebs) with a simple copy/paste.   Was quite useful for creating walled off Archive directories of old pages.

Note I am not talking about text, but FILES. You'd basically have two instances of FP open, and just copy from one to the other.

I don't seem to be able to do it in Expression Web 4 - I copy, but when I paste, nothing's in the buffer.  Was a very useful function, am I missing something or is EW4?

Thursday, September 2, 2010 8:29 PM

All replies

• I don't have any issues copying between open instances of V4. Is it all types of files? Can you copy text from page to page in the two instances of EW?
    Ian Haynes

EW V4 Add-Ins
    EW resources, hints and tips
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:08 PM
  • I'll second what Ian said. I can copy and paste between them with no problem. I even found out that I can drag and drop to copy files. I've never used that feature, but it's pretty cool. It sounds like you might have an issue with your installation.

Jim

Thursday, September 2, 2010 9:25 PM
  • Are you working live on the server (never a good idea)? This has been mentioned in here before (and, as I remember, the OP didn't mention that he was working live on the server until late into the wild goose chase).

If you are, then it's because in the past, FPSEs took care of that, and you are probaly not using them now to connect to the server.

My memory may not be exact, so do a search of this forum (or wait until somebody posts (in support or refutation) of my memory).

In the meantime, give us more detail--lots of detail--OS, server OS, type of pages, where they are located when you do this, etc.

Some see the glass as half full. Others see the glass as half empty. I see a glass that's clearly twice as large as it needs to be.
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 10:55 PM
  • Just a thought, but perhaps the OP may be talking about copy/paste between subwebs/folders on the remote, live site. Depending upon the provider's setup, the FTP client (if FTP is in use), or whether the FPSE are there to mitigate, that may be problematic.

I use third-party FTP, so I don't really have a test bed setup. Have you guys tried to do copy/paste or drag 'n' drop remotely?

cheers,
    scott

C'mon, folks. This isn't rocket science, nor neurosurgery. It's "Expression" (singular) "Web" (singular), in that order, followed by a version numeral if you wish to be specific. It is often abbreviated "EW." It is not "Web Expression," "Expressions Web," "Web Expressions," or plain "Expression" or "Expressions." Not using the correct name indicates either ignorance or laziness. Most folks would rather avoid the appearance of either.
    Thursday, September 2, 2010 11:02 PM
  • I suspect Bill and Scott have identified the issue but we'll have to wait to hear back from the originator.  Copying and pasting files from a remote site to a local site no longer works, beginning with Expression Web 3.  In Expression Web 3, for various reasons, we changed the nature of Expression Web, from a single-instance application with multiple top-level windows, to a multiple-instance application.  Unfortunately, this had the side effect that a site open in one instance of Expression Web no longer automatically knows everything there is to know about a remote site open in another instance, which broke the copy and paste scenario in that case.  The workaround is to create local copies of the files, e.g., by publishing your remote site back to a local disk-based web, at which point you can add them to your other local site(s).
    Paul Bartholomew, Microsoft Expression Web
    Friday, September 3, 2010 9:25 PM
  • Sorry, forgot I posted here.  Yes, I work live on the server.  ALWAYS a good idea in my case.  I am not exactly new to this.  I have several client sites where there is a password protected subweb for archived pages. Worked well with Front Page to copy old pages before editing them, and paste them to the archives on the subweb.  But apparently that is no longer possible.  Which is a nuisance. 
    Monday, October 25, 2010 3:37 PM
  • Well, whatever floats your boat. We'll have to amiably agree to disagree on the wisdom of working live. Even if (as you are) you're making backups before beginning work, you're still exposing untested live edits to the world at large for however long it takes to realize the error and correct it, or to recover from your backup.

And in the scenario you describe, you don't have a local copy if the worst should happen and a server fails, taking your work with it, and that does happen. Infrequently, perhaps, but we have had more than a few posts here from folks to whom this has happened, desperately trying to figure out what to do next to recover. (I would recommend searching for the page with Google to see if there is still a cached version available.)

Still, if that's the workflow you prefer, hey, it's your site and your choice, and there's no point in gainsaying a person's choice of work process. You will need the FPSE, however, because an attempt to copy and paste from one remote folder to another using FTP results in an error dialog saying, "This action is not supported on FTP servers."

The FPSE are experiencing a steady decline in support and availability as providers upgrade their servers, and the latest Windows servers offer no support whatsoever, so at some point you will, perforce, have to consider adopting a different workflow strategy. I guess it just comes down to whether you wish to do so at a time of your own choosing and convenience, or wait until there are no other options. Up to you... ;-)

cheers,
    scott

Please remember to "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue. It is common courtesy to recognize those who have helped you, and it also makes it easier for visitors to find the resolution later.
    Monday, October 25, 2010 4:26 PM