none
Excel Request Format Cells: Fill Pattern Style Additions? RRS feed

• Question

• Looking to add additional pattern options to the format cells "pattern style".<o:p></o:p>

Currently only 16 options appear through the conditional format option. However the one I want is not available as an option. "Wide Upward Angle". <o:p></o:p>

When dealing with a Chart in excel you have the option to format the data series. Under the pattern fill options you have 48 options to choose from. <o:p></o:p>

I would like all 48 options to appear Format Cells: Fill: Pattern Style options. <o:p></o:p>

I am using a conditional format and would like it to fill the cell with "wide upward angle" when the criteria is met. Any recommendations is appreciated. Thanks

Friday, October 2, 2015 3:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

>>Currently only 16 options appear through the conditional format option. However the one I want is not available as an option. "Wide Upward Angle". <<

Base on my understanding, the pattern style is a feature provided by Excel application and it is not able to customization. If you have any feedback about this feature you can submit the feedback from top right corner of Excel 2013.

>>Is there any workaround to create the "Wide Upward Angle" fill pattern style within the cell? Still looking for a conditional format to change cell background from no fill to the Wide Upward Angle. Is it possible via a vba macro? <<

No. We are not able to create custom pattern style in Excel at present version. So it is also impossible customization this feature via code.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.
    Click HERE to participate the survey.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 3:01 AM
  • You are probably thinking of msoPatternWideUpwardDiagonal but this is one of the 48 Pattern fills only available for Shape and chart formats, though since 2007 the UI has been removed and these can only be applied with code.

For cells formats there are only 18 pattern fills (including solid) and as Fei Xui explained these cannot be customized. 

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 10:23 AM

All replies

• Is there any workaround to create the "Wide Upward Angle" fill pattern style within the cell? Still looking for a conditional format to change cell background from no fill to the Wide Upward Angle. Is it possible via a vba macro? 

Monday, October 5, 2015 3:20 PM
  • Hi,

>>Currently only 16 options appear through the conditional format option. However the one I want is not available as an option. "Wide Upward Angle". <<

Base on my understanding, the pattern style is a feature provided by Excel application and it is not able to customization. If you have any feedback about this feature you can submit the feedback from top right corner of Excel 2013.

>>Is there any workaround to create the "Wide Upward Angle" fill pattern style within the cell? Still looking for a conditional format to change cell background from no fill to the Wide Upward Angle. Is it possible via a vba macro? <<

No. We are not able to create custom pattern style in Excel at present version. So it is also impossible customization this feature via code.

Regards & Fei

We are trying to better understand customer views on social support experience, so your participation in this interview project would be greatly appreciated if you have time. Thanks for helping make community forums a great place.

Tuesday, October 6, 2015 3:01 AM
  • You are probably thinking of msoPatternWideUpwardDiagonal but this is one of the 48 Pattern fills only available for Shape and chart formats, though since 2007 the UI has been removed and these can only be applied with code.

For cells formats there are only 18 pattern fills (including solid) and as Fei Xui explained these cannot be customized. 

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 10:23 AM
  • Thank you Fei for the answer

How would I go about requesting the additional pattern as a feature in a future release. Custom pattern option would be nice but I am sure would add another level of complexity. For the short term future, I would just like the 48 pattern options.  Please let me know if there is a specifc link or forum to make that request.  Thanks again, David.

Thursday, October 15, 2015 1:18 PM
  • Hi DCAMPW,

This feature is not able to customized. If you want this feature to support more patterns, you can try to submit the feedback from link below:
    Customer Feedback for Microsoft Office 365 - UserVoice

Regards & Fei

Friday, October 16, 2015 9:51 AM